Ferrari California Handling Speciale Revealed: 2012 Geneva Motor Show - Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum
Ferrari Forum Ferrari Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum > Ferrari News & Site Polls > Ferrari News
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ferrari-Talk.com is the premier Ferrari Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ferrari California Handling Speciale Revealed: 2012 Geneva Motor Show

Alongside the scene stealing F12 Berlinetta, Ferrari also chose the Geneva Motor Show as the venue for the unveiling of its updated front mid-engined California, which is lighter, more powerful and faster than its predecessor.

Still powered by a 4.3-liter V8, tuning tricks and a less restrictive exhaust boost power by an extra 30 ponies, from 460 to a total of 490 horses. Torque stands at a meaty 372 lb-ft of torque. Thanks to shaving some 66 lbs of mass, due to a revised lightweight alloy chassis, performance is improved, with a projected 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) time of 3.8 seconds.

Although the idea of tracking a convertible may seem a bit odd to some, Ferrari has added a "Handling Speciale" option to the new California, which adds stiffer springs and faster reacting magneto rheological shock absorbers, thanks to a specially calibrated ECU that tailors damping to match the individual driver and road conditions. Quicker ratio steering is also part of the package and combined with the car's F1-Trac traction control system, will help result in a highly capable corner carver, topless coachwork or not.

At present, Ferrari has only confirmed European sales, though given the appeal of a car like this and the name, US availability seems a given, though exactly when that will happen is still to be determined.

As one expects of such a machine, a variety of options, including paint colors, upholstery patterns and even two-toning are available to help make your California stand apart from the herd.

More: Ferrari California Handling Speciale Revealed: 2012 Geneva Motor Show on Autoguide.com
AutoGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
F50

Post Owner 1st US F50 Replies to "Tracking a Convertible"!

Although the idea of tracking a convertible may seem a bit odd to some, Ferrari has added a "Handling Speciale" option to the new California, which adds stiffer springs and faster reacting magneto rheological shock absorbers, thanks to a specially calibrated ECU that tailors damping to match the individual driver and road conditions. Quicker ratio steering is also part of the package and combined with the car's F1-Trac traction control system, will help result in a highly capable corner carver, topless coachwork or not.

"Tracking a convertible", especially a Ferrari convertible, is hardly odd nor unfamiliar to me. My first experience with my new yellow F50 was on the track at TWS and with the top off. I have "tracked" a 348TS, an F355 Spider and an F430 Spider. Clearly these convertibles, other than the F50, did not have the same handling as my Challenge cars nor my F40. That is not the point! I think the point is that we all, as Ferrari owners, want to experience whatever Ferrari we own at speed, convertible or not. Track Days and tracking, for that matter, are set up by Ferrari Dealers, Ferrari Clubs and Ferrari to allow us to do just that. Tracks are the only same and sane way to experience the dramatic acceleration, braking and handling that only a Ferrari can provide, top on or top off. Paul Arthur Frame Jr., Owner 1st US F50.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement