430 F1 clutch - Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum
Ferrari Forum Ferrari Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum > Ferrari Discussion > Ferrari Technical Questions & Answers
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ferrari-Talk.com is the premier Ferrari Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 430 F1 clutch

Can someone shed some light on this? I bought a 2005 F430 Spider with 500 miles on it last year. It has an F1 transmission. I have put 4500 miles on it in the last year mostly on the highway for a total of 5000. I have had it on the track 5 or 6 times. I don't drag race it, do no city driving with it and take off easliy every time...I've never "laid rubber" with it, not even on the track. My mechanic told me that according to his computer I have used up 85% of the clutch's life, meaning it has only 15% of its life left before it needs replacement! This means the car is going to need a new clutch every 5882 miles. Has anyone ever heard of 430s eating clutches like this? If this diagnosis is correct, what would cause it to burn up so quickly?

E-Bond

Last edited by E-Bond; 05-03-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled words
E-Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hy, I posted almost the same problems, but in my opinion it's not ok because that means that F430 is not such an every day car like Ferrari said. Anyway, I'm a little beat sad about this. And also, if this is a really problem of this car I will make a request to Ferrari Company to not lied the costumers when somebody ask them about the problems and durability of this car.
TM76ROF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

An update from my mechanic: Apparently a retest says that the clutch is 50% worn...better news but still not great compared to a good friend who's Z06 Corvette is getting 70,000 miles out of a clutch. He is currently doing the One Lap in the same car he tracks 50+ times per year. My 430 is an amazing car but I am going to switch to a different track car. Too bad. Further comments are welcome. BTW: I also track a 1994 348. The most dependable sports car I have ever owned.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Now I'm nervous. Keep us informed.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

The F1 clutch in the 430 is computer controlled. check with a good dealer to scan your ECM and see if the software is causing your clutch wear. The release point and starting out slip in first gear are adjustable in the ECM
Racer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was told by a Ferrari wrench that reverse, auto mode .. and slow starts from first gear will wear out F1 clutches the fastest. Rather than pussyfoot out of first thereby using added clutch wear .. start out a bit more aggressively thereby allowing first gear to catch a bit faster .. with less slippage. My 2001, F1 went 10,000 before I needed a new clutch and I'm told that the 430 commonly have a much longer road life. Might wish to have your issued addressed by the factory !
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default F430 Clutch

Thanks for all the feed back. I am going to follow Michael's advice. In the mean time I have to get the car to the dealer to find out why it has decided to stay in "auto" mode after I put it into auto mode on one rare, 10 minute occasion. Oh the price of my addiction to automotive style!
Old 11-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Never owned an F-Car, nonetheless a big fan...owned high performance cars of other makes...and I have never understood these clutch issues.

Seems silly that any manufacturer would produce a car that routinely required clutch replacement at 25K miles and less. I am sure there are apoligist for any brand, but there is simply no excuse for any car having a clutch failure with such low miles.

While a 328GTS would be my choice, it would be sad to have such an expensive and premium car eat clutches in such manner. Its enough to scare any reasonably budgeted person far away from the vaunted F-1 transmission. Even if the money where no object, who could enjoy large and reoccurring clutch repairs?

W. Joh Gadd-Clearwater
wjgesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to paul chahal

hello there, there is a software update for tcu for this problem (premature ware of the clutch) go to ferraritechinfo.com for more info.
paul chahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey E .. If you've not tried this already, pull both F1 levers at the same time, (up and down) with your foot fully depressed on the brake pedal .. thereby allowing the F1transmission to slip out of 'auto' mode. OK, here's another idea. Probably NOT the best idea I've ever come up with .. but what the heck. The factory device that houses the 'auto' mode is held in with 4 simple screws. At the rear of the auto shifter device, there exists only one small plug. What about the idea of taking the shifter device out of the car, try 'lightly tapping' the device on the side or top .. just in case some debris is causing your 'auto' transmission to stay in gear ! OK .. not the greatest idea, but probably worth a try ! OR .. try taking the car to your local Ferrari wrench and forget about making your next three mortgage payments ! LOL
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement