Shell Helix motor oil - Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum
Ferrari Forum Ferrari Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum > Ferrari Discussion > Ferrari Technical Questions & Answers
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ferrari-Talk.com is the premier Ferrari Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scott Kindred (Scott_kindred)

Default I just got a 1998 355 Spider a

I just got a 1998 355 Spider and the owner's manual specifies Shell Helix 5W-40 motor oil, but I can't seem to locate a supplier. Can anyone suggest a supplier, or comparable oil for topping off? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
David Feinberg (Fastradio2)

Default Scott, Audi specifies the s

Scott,

Audi specifies the same oil viscosity...We use Castrol Syntec 5w-40. No issues and readily available at Autozone.

Regards,
David
Old 08-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Chris Fricke (Tomdial)

Default Hi! Even if it was recommende

Hi!
Even if it was recommended earlier, this may not be the best oil for your engine.
With frequent hard use, high rpm and hot climate it is safer to use fully synthetic 5W50 or 10W60 oils.
In Europe Ferrari had severe problems with the Helix Ultra 5W40 and the recommended oil for newer Ferraris is Helix Ultra 10W60 now.

For top up you can use any good oil that you can put your hands on.
If it is synthetic and 5W40, even better.
Shell Helix is no special formula, but a standard oil for standard engines and can be mixed with any other product, on mineral, synthetic, hydro crack, ester or PAO base.

If you want to use the full potential of your engine from time to time, look for a fully synthetic xW50 or xW60 (the x may be 5, 10 or even 15 if you don’t use your car in cold weather) from a recognized brand that is available in your region.

Change it once a year and you wont have any problems from that side…

Chris
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Scott Kindred (Scott_kindred)

Default Problem solved- Thanks for the

Problem solved- Thanks for the timely information!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi, i just bought a 360(2003) The motor hatch seems to get very warm after a 1/2 hr. use-is this normal. Thanks, Perry
Perry Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 1995 F 355 and the dealer had used Shell Helix oil when I had my 30k service done. That oil is no longer being used by the dealerships, they have switched over to "Q" (Quaker State) oil. I highly recommend you stay away from the "Q" oil since my mechanic says it has a tendency to foam when it get's hot. So I am now using Mobile 1, 5w-50 Synthetic and the car runs noticibly better than ever before. I also recommend you change your gearbox oil at the same time if you have not already done so. For this I also used Mobile 1, 75w-90 Synthentic.
Michael
FerrariDeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariDeeJay View Post
I have a 1995 F 355 and the dealer had used Shell Helix oil when I had my 30k service done. That oil is no longer being used by the dealerships, they have switched over to "Q" (Quaker State) oil. I highly recommend you stay away from the "Q" oil since my mechanic says it has a tendency to foam when it get's hot. So I am now using Mobile 1, 5w-50 Synthetic and the car runs noticibly better than ever before. I also recommend you change your gearbox oil at the same time if you have not already done so. For this I also used Mobile 1, 75w-90 Synthentic.
Michael
I find Mobil 1 is great for many applications. I agree that the Q foams up when it is hot. I have seen the same thing happen in many applications.

Nadeem
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement