Timing belts - Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum
Ferrari Forum Ferrari Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum > Ferrari Classifieds / Ferrari Buyers Guide
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Ferrari-Talk.com is the premier Ferrari All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Antonio De Nino (Ovalmaster)

Default Hi, I am new to this site. I

Hi, I am new to this site. I hope that you can help me. I am very seriously considering purchasing a 1991 348 TB. I have heard all kinds of horror stories about Ferrari maintenance (especialy timing belt replacement costs). Can you please share some of your experiences with me and clarify how often do you have to change the timing belts or any other maintenance, for that matter?

What should I look for when purchasing?

Thanks,
Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Eugenio (Flyingboa)

Default The wise man says: 3 years cal

The wise man says: 3 years calendar time. Miles are not an issue as it is very difficult you will ever reach the required deadline of 30.000 miles within that time frame...
When I bought my 328 the belts were 17 years old (and 12000 miles). I immediately replaced them: they looked as new. Cheap insurance for me, 348 needs engine out (unless you are Karl Verdi) so a bit more expensive.
Look for a car with the belts done, otherwise negotiate the price to include the job.
Good search!
Eugenio
Old 06-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Drew Altemara (Drewa)

Default I replace mine anywhere betwee

I replace mine anywhere between 5 to 7 years. I try to drive the cars every week or every other week. I think a lot of people are in this range.

Drew Altemara

Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mitch Alsup (Mitchalsup)

Default 5 years or 30K miles--since I

5 years or 30K miles--since I get a lot of track milage, I use 3 years.

What has to be done: Pull the engine, tranny, subframe and rear suspension. Replace belts, tension bearings, water pump (and anything that might go bad in the next 5 years). Reinstall engine, tranny, subframe with rear suspension. Fill coolant, refill A/C, change oil in tranny, Check ride height and give it an alignment.

Alternative: Drop the gasoline tank and attack the front of the engine from the cavity where the tank used to be. Change belts, tensioner bearings, water pump, but you can't get at or see the other rubbery things that might go wrong in the next 5 years). Reinstall gas tank.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Antonio De Nino (Ovalmaster)

Default Thanks for all your input guys

Thanks for all your input guys. I will keep you up to date and let you know about my purchase!

Antonio
Old 09-25-2006, 04:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ian McLachlan (Ianmac)

Default I'd like to know what Ferr

I'd like to know what Ferrari actually recommends to US customers about cambelt change on the 348. I recently bought a '91 348tb in the UK and my technical manual specifies 40,000 Km (25,000 miles) or 24 months! I believe it's different in the US and I'd love to know why.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mitch Alsup (Mitchalsup)

Default The 308/328/355/360 engines al

The 308/328/355/360 engines all use one cam belt per cyclinder bank. The 348 uses one cam belt for both banks. This puts a lot heavier stress on the cam belt.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ian McLachlan (Ianmac)

Default Mitch That explains why the

Mitch

That explains why the belts in 348s need to be changed more often than in other models but not why there is a difference between the specified mileage/time between changes in the US and UK. Same engines, same belts but the US ones don't have to be changed as frequently as the UK ones - doesn't add up.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
robert j. loomis iii (Rjloomis)

Default Wanted: Ferrari seats in good

Wanted: Ferrari seats in good condition. Custom automotive themed furniture. Couches, bar stools, office chairs, beds… all types of items for your home, created out of authentic parts from your favorite marquee. Examples posted at www.loomis-design.com Contact Robert J. Loomis III, [email protected]om
Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
robert j. loomis iii (Rjloomis)

Default Wanted: Ferrari seats in good

Wanted: Ferrari seats in good condition. Custom automotive themed furniture. Couches, bar stools, office chairs, beds… all types of items for your home, created out of authentic parts from your favorite marquee. Examples posted at www.loomis-design.com Contact Robert J. Loomis III, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement