Mondial Electrical problems solved Alternatorbattery load mismatch - Page 5 - Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum
Ferrari Forum Ferrari Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ferrari Forums: Ferrari Forum > Ferrari Discussion > Ferrari Technical Questions & Answers
Register Home Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Ferrari-Talk.com is the premier Ferrari All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj5 View Post
So, besides the alternator, to effect this change:

1. grind down the front bracket -- on the alternator or the engine?
2. use third wire from ignition feed
3. same belts apply

To corraborate other input:
ensure no sig. loss in main battery wire
ensure battery is good to start with

I am coating my headers and have 'opened up that side of the engine to improved airflow - I am hoping that will be enough.

I am also replacing the fuse box connector where it burned out

Thanks for all!!

Will proceed once I get my car back!
sorry it took so long to reply. Grind down the aluminum bracket arm that holds the bottom alternator bolt. The arm will otherwise rub on the alternator pulley fan because of the increased angle for the new larger alternator. In other words... the new alternator is much bigger, for it to work with the excisting bracket it will have to pivot down much like if you were tightening the belt. The more "angle" you give it, the closer it gets to the pulley fan. You'll notice that Ferrari, already started the grinding... there should be a flat spot on the aluminum bracket, just continue grinding where Ferrari started. Once you start doing it you'll understand precisely because you won't be able to install the belt otherwise... it will be too loose. Hope this helps.
consejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #42 (permalink)

Not sure if anyone still interested in this thread or not but decided to post some updates...After my Alternator upgrade, everything worked fine electrically however, it seems that I could never get my new alternator to line up properly with the crank pulley, the result has been having to replace the belt every 2500 miles or so.
Every time I replaced it I would try to realign it with spacers and new rubber bushing but the problem came back.
I've had the engine out for sometime doing some cosmetic things to it and upgrading the ignition system to an Electronic Ignition System so I decided to fabricate a new bracket...took some doing but its done and mounted. I still wish I had a longer belt as its pretty tight and very little room for adjustment but my alignment seems to be "dead on" at this time, if anyone still interested in this upgrade I will post pics of the bracket and how to build your own and what I did Etc..
consejero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #43 (permalink)

Seems a very informative post and puts a lot of light on things related to older vehicles and issues related to them. People have to look out for while buying these vehicles.
Angel smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #44 (permalink)

Mondial engine out. Time to upgrade alternator. I would expect that these discussions have advanced somewhat. I currently have the early Bosch on my 83 Mondial QV. I could easily upgrade it. I understand from the discussions here that GM CS130 alternator type can be adapted to fit.

Are there any other generally accepted alternatives in 2014 for upgrading my alternator?
itswhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r turner (Snj5) View Post
Chris - could you please elaborate on this, please?
Chris has made the elaborations.

Last edited by janetfdoss; 12-30-2015 at 05:11 AM.
janetfdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement