Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY ON

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY ONE HAS ANY COMMENTS OF PURCHASING A 75 OR 79 DINO GT4.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES?
HOW MUCH WOULD IT BE FAIR TO PAY FOR IETHER IN FANTASTICL CONDITION

RS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are very specific differ

There are very specific differences in the engine performance, directly related (for North American versions)to tightening emission requirements. The 1975 cars were rated at 240hp, the 78-79 cars were rated at 205hp. It is not an easy matter to return a late car to early specs. Differences exist in the exhaust system (both muffler and cats), carb jetting, distributor advance, and cams.

You would need to speak to someone else on the interior/exterior and other mechanical differences between the years. In general, condition and service history play a bigger factor in prices than the specific year. High 20's to low 30's would get you a "concours ready" garage queen. Mid to upper teens would get you a "driver" with some body rust, tattered interior, and few records. In between..is well, in between....

Look at as many as you can, you will find that these cars can have a lot of "non original" things done to them by owners trying to save a few $$$, such as replacing the seat leather with vinyl, and other atrocities...be careful, and let the buyer beware!

If you need more specifics, I would recommend purchasing "Original Ferrari V8" by Keith Blumel. It is a very good reference book, though it has a few errors an omissions in it.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments.
I en

Thanks for the comments.
I ended up purchasing a very nice 79, Gray with Red interion and with only real 22k miles. the car is a jewel although i paid a premium. 31k for it but I am happy and it is perhaps one of the nicest ones arround.

The issues I am dealing with now is that the car does not handle very well, it seems to need stronger sway bars or something. I am looking into this now.

Does anybody have experience in improving the handling of the car?

When driving and moving the steering wheel from side to side, the car moves like a big old car would. Like a boat.

Thanks

Ricardo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts