Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to take my 308 out today

Went to take my 308 out today for the first time since last fall. The battery was weak so I charged it checked voltage with meter. Turned key waited for completed pre start turned key and killed all power to the car. The clock stopped working and courtesy light went out. Have no power anywhere. Checked fuses and they seem ok. Does anyone haveany suggestions where to start trouble shooting??? Could it be a relay? No electrical power anywhere. I have a sitting duck right now and could use assistance.
Looking forward to a response.
Thank you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Robert,

Welcome to Ferri-Ta

Robert,

Welcome to Ferri-Talk...the best place on the Web for technical support.

No apparent power anywhere likely is a fairly simple problem to diagnose. I'm of the school that the most basic areas of concern need to be addressed first, so let's start with the battery.

Just because it's charged doesn't mean that it's good. I'd remove the battery from the car, and have it tested "under load" at a Sears, Pep Boys or other shop that had a "battery load tester."

Once a known "good" battery is in the car, carefully inspect the positive and negative battery connectors, as well as the negative cable end where it connects to the chassis. All these connections need to be clean and tight.

I believe that once these areas of concern are verified, you should be back in business.

Simple things first...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

Thanks for your

David,

Thanks for your response I will give that a try today and hope for the best. Do you have any recommendations on a new battery (type & size)if that is the problem? I have only owned the car since last September so I just want to be careful on what I am doing not to cause any serious damage to fuses and relays. Speaking of which where is a good source for relays and fuses? An import auto parts store like Bap Geon?

Have a great day,

Robert

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Robert,

Personally, I like

Robert,

Personally, I like and use the Optima "Red Top" battery...As to size, I don't remember the size group, but it is a standard size...Just match it up as close as you can. No need to worry about damage to fuses, relays, etc. as long as you connect the battry polarity correctly...!

Fuses...Any place.

Relays...Most are standard Bosch relays. Match up by Bosch part number. Don't mention the "F-word" (Ferrari), else a big premium is in order...HA!

I buy most of my parts thru Ted Rutland's down in Atlanta...but candidly, I've replaced very, very few relays in 25 years of Ferrari ownership.
Frank's place in NJ (Board Sponsor) will have all the parts you might ever need, as well.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob I'm with Dave here . I

Bob I'm with Dave here . It sounds like a dead cel in the battery. I had a similar problem a few years back when I bought my 308. Needed a jump start when I picked it up but assumed the problem was due to the car sitting in storage. Pulled the battery and had it checked and there was a ded cel. Replaced it and now 6 years later still going.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave & Steve,

Thank

Dave & Steve,

Thanks for the input and I agree with you on the F word at the auto stores. I have used a 6 volt optima in my other antique for the last 12 years they are great. The current battery is Interstate 75 month, and was installed July 2004. I will email you guys a photo after I get up and running. Hard to pass up some 80 degree spring temps. Off to the shop.

Thanks again progress report later,

Robert

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave & Steve,

You g

Dave & Steve,

You guys were right on target. The Interstate battery was bad installed a red top Optima & down the road I went no further problems.

Have a great week, and thanks for your help,

Robert

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robert,

Excellent!

Now,

Robert,

Excellent!

Now, how about sending some of that 80 degree warmth up here to NH.? Actually, I was think about taking the BB out for a spin today...

Enjoy,
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.