Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1986 32

I recently purchased a 1986 328 GTS and know the AC does not work so trying to figure it out now. The compressor seems to be working and I can see the freon (changed to r134a) bubbling. However the AC condenser/radiator fan (the one underneath right headlight) does not turn on. I tried swapping relays (with the horn relay). I heard there is a switch for the fan underneath the right front and will try it once I jacked up the car. Any suggestion on where to find OEM/equivalent AC condenser fan for this car (besides the ferrari dealer which is one of my option)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The problem you describe sound

The problem you describe sounds more like the Hi/Low Pressure Switch on the Reciever Dryer. Unplug the Wire connector & using a test light, with the AC on, test for power at the plug terminals. If you have power make a Jumper Wire and jump across the connections, the fan should come on, if it doesn't then the fan is bad. If you don't have power check the fuses & circuit board for the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the Hi/Low pressure

I thought the Hi/Low pressure switch on the dryer controlled the compressor? If there are bubbles the compressor is probably running, but the level could be low. You may want to put a set of gauges on & see where your pressures are. In the 328, you "can" reach around the air filter and hook-up the gauges without removing anything else.
Also in the 328 there is a heat sensor on the liquid line by the condenser and unless the liquid is hot, the fan won't come-on. (see parts manual table 131 detail #9) you can unplug and connect the wires and the fan will come-on.
If the right, front of the car hit/rubs on the ground, the fan can hit and lock-up and the result will be a burn-up the motor.
If you have to replace the fan you may want to go with a smaller diameter one. The 328 uses a Spal brand of fan (looks the same as radiator fans) which are available in the aftermarket (they are sold at the Long Beach, Ca Auto swap meet)http://www.spal-usa.com/

At best, the 328 A/C system is very weak, but should put out a little bit of 40 Deg air while driving on a 90 Deg day. A weak link is the blower fan.
I thought about developing a circuit to increase the voltage to 18V for more blower speed and I would be interested in hearing anybody's comments on the subject.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strike my question above. We b

Strike my question above. We bypassed the sensor to test the fan and it is working. BTW: we measured the fan as 12". Unfortunately still no cold air (80 degree coming out of the AC fan). Continue to debug....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts