Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, 1987 TR CIS KE injectio

Hello, 1987 TR CIS KE injection. Car starts on cranking and shuts down after a few seconds. After the engine dies you can still hear the fuel pumps running for a short period. If I hold the starter switch to crank, it will continue to run. Checking for B+ at one of the engine ECU’s, I have B+ during cranking, after it starts it loses B+, then engine dies but then I get B+ back for a short period and pumps run for 2 seconds. I have checked all fuses that I can find including the overprotection relay in the right rear corner of the engine compartment. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the starter relay or

Could be the starter relay or the bypass resistors on the coils.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE
Thanks guys for send

UPDATE
Thanks guys for sending me in the right direction. I looked at a lot of different thing but finally went to the left coil to see if swapping the ignition modules would make a difference. I noticed that the end of the coil wire was melted and the coil tower was broken. I put a new boot on the coil wire end, pushed it into the coil the whole way and it fired and continued to run. After it was running I unplugged the right ign module and it shut down half the engine but when you unplug the left module the whole engine dies because I am guessing the tach relay loses it's ignition signal. I think what was happening was the spark from the exposed coil wire was jumping into the smaller wires feeding the coil and confusing the ignition module ??????? All I know is it runs now so I will replace the coil and wire and hope that’s it. Thanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.