Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, first time on the si

Hi there, first time on the site. Looks like I'll be spending some time here! Just recently purchased a 99 Spider and wanted to change the oil and filter. I can't seem to find any available filters other than my local dealer. Any suggestions? Also thoughts on running synthetic in the car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mark:

The recommended oil,

Mark:

The recommended oil, Shell, is synthetic, and is specially formatted for your car. Don't use anything else in it. I've heard of guys running other synthetics, but given the warranty issues, etc., I wouldn't use anything but the Shell Oil. The filters are available from various sites. Have you looked at what's involved in changing the oil? Unless you've got a lift, it's easier to use the dealer.

Just my thoughts.

Art

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In agreement with ART, don&#39

In agreement with ART, don't use anything but synthetic oil in your car.

In disagreement with ART, any 0W40, 5W40 or 10W40 synthetic will be just fine. If you search this site you will find a big diatribe I wrote up on oil about 1 years ago. There are even some 0W30 oils that will even be just fine even when the car is taken to the track and have the snot run out of it.

I am a big detractor from the thicker oil is better oil catagory. Thin oil protects faster at startup, and as long as the oil temperatures never exceede 285dF there is little need for thicker oils.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Aboard Mark!!

I agr

Welcome Aboard Mark!!

I agree with Mitch on the oil issue. Any quality Synthetic is a good choice, I use Mobil One or Royal Purple. Choose the proper grade for climate & use. I buy my Oil Filters at the Dealer (Algar)to insure my clients get a quality Filter with Adequate Filtration Qualities.

Also agree changing the Oil & Filter is quite a job because of all the under panels that must be removed, along with the many inspections of belts, seals, bearings etc that must be performed whenever the shields and air diffusers come of.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's for the imput guys

Thank's for the imput guys. I have not been under my car yet but dissapointed to here it's such a chore to change the oil. If you can't tinker a little bit on the weekends it takes away from the personal relationship with your car. I also have an old XJ-S 12 Cyl and feel like I know that thing like I know my wife!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts