Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My car was parked for

Hello,
My car was parked for the winter last Friday. I added sta-bil and totally filled the fuel tanks and imediately parked it. This would be the first time it has been parked with full tanks since I have owned it. So, yesterday I noticed a black puddle about 4" long under the car directly under the back of the passenger side door.

Also- I think my gas tank is shaped a little differently from this drawing. This attachment is from the Ferrari UK site for my exact car. I think mine has a large bulge pointed towards the rear wheel about the size of a footbal. I could be wrong but that's what I remember from last night. I will post a photo tomorrow.

After smelling the liquid (fuel) and jacking up the car to take a look from underneath, I can see the fuel is leaking from somewhere near the top of the right side fuel tank and mixing with the body coating and making the black puddle. I took off the right rear wheel, and wheel well and looked around. I couldn't really see anything obvious. The leak is down the front of the tank in the 1" gap between the tank and the body. You can only see it from underneath.

I also felt with my hand the hoses on the top of the tank and all felt dry.

So- I'm going to check for leaks tonight and proceed with recommendations.

What do we think? Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi John,

seems like the lea

Hi John,

seems like the leak would be one of the 2 lines on the top of the tank. One is the fuel system return line, the other is the pressure vent. Could be a loose clamp on one of the pipes on top.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully it is simply a loose

Hopefully it is simply a loose clamp issue. Have you totally filled the car up before or is this that absolute most fuel you've ever put in it? If this is the most fuel ever then I could indeed believe it's a clamping issue or the check valve/vent leaking. Did you fill it up into the filler neck...(like overfilling)...?

My TR had a leak in the right side fuel tank that would leak only when the tanks were near full or when the car was parked on a slope. Turns out that the previous owner had installed an aftermarket sound system and had used a self tapping screw that was too long, and it peirced the tank. So I had to drain out the gas....about 20 gallons....NOT A FUN JOB...and take the tank out for repair. I think the job cost me about $175 for repairs and rebuilding of the sending unit.

Since these tanks are aluminum their is no corrsion, and unless something happened like on my car, it's more than likely an overfilling or loose connection type of problem.

Keep us posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the two hose connect

I checked the two hose connections and all seems tight and dry. I'm going to put the car on the ground, add a couple cups of fuel and watch for leaks.

Fuel leaks really freak me out. I'll be standing with a fire extinguisher next to me. You never know when a bit of static could build up on my clothes or something.

Yes, this is the first time I have filled it all the way up and then drove it five minutes home.
The fuel was into the filler hose- about 5 or six inches below the cap. I will look there so see how much leaked out.

I'll post later on the results of the fuel filling. I think I will just replace those hoses (if I can find them) and clamps.

Thanks,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

any amount of fres

Hi John,

any amount of fresh air and/or circulating air will keep the fumes diluted enough to prevent accidental combustion in most circumstances.

Since you have a Euro version you may need to look around those leaking areas for some type conversion shop add ons that may be the root cause of your problem.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a similiar problem with

I had a similiar problem with my 512BB. I had filled the car right up and driven straight home. The heat from the engine warmed up the gasoline and it started leaking out of the gauge sensor [58]. Over time the rubber gasket had shrunk a bit and I just needed to tight up the nuts. Pretty scary with a full 110 liters in the tanks.

Also, I don't top up the tanks anymore.

Grant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's still slowly le

Well, it's still slowly leaking fuel.

The connections on top are dry, so I guess it's the front of the tank- maybe the seam or a pinhole leak? I'm sending her off to the pros tomorrow. I'll tell you what we find out.

While the tank is out and the fuel system empty, I'm going to replace the fuel filter, fuel lines from left tank to pump, fuel lines on top of the tanks.

Is there anything else that should be done while we are there?

Thanks folks,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi John,

strange problem, t

Hi John,

strange problem, thanks for the update. I'm really curios to know what the leak is all about so please fill us in when you get the tank out and repaired.

Happy Holidays, JRV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts