Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I have noticed the last

HI,

I have noticed the last couple of times I started my car that the fuel pump makes a sound at initial turn on (for about one second) that is different in tone than the remaining 20 or so seconds I let it run before starting.

Is this just the fact that fuel is not yet flowing completely through the pump or is my pump going bad (it is original).

What is a recommended pump to get as a replacement, Facet?

Thank You,

Anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Anthony,

it's normal

Hi Anthony,

it's normal for carbed fuel pumps to make an audible noise, louder at first getting quiter as they run and build pressure in the lines.

Worry when it no longer makes a noise with the key on.

Yes the Facet red tops are the replacements.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, JRV. That's what I

Thanks, JRV. That's what I figured.

Although since it is original, I am toying with the idea of replacing it now before it gets me stuck somewhere!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Anthony,

Preemptively repla

Anthony,

Preemptively replacing the original fuel pump with a Facet "Red" pump might not be a bad idea.

I concur with JRV, as a carb 308 owner, that the pump will make different noises depending on what's going on. Notably, for about 15 to 20 seconds (as stated in your owners manual), the fuel pump is priming the system--fuel lines and carb fuel bowls--with gas.

At some point, everything becomes primed and filled and fuel begins dumping back out into the right hand side of the fuel tank. This is when the fuel pump changes sounds.

I think, but am not sure, that it relates to how "hard" the fuel pump is working.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Anthony,
My 2 cents.
At some

Anthony,
My 2 cents.
At some point you may want to clean the fuel pump inlet strainer inside of the LH fuel tank.
When my 328 fuel pump started to make noise I cleaned the strainer and the noise went away.
People seem to replace the filter after the pump and ignore the fuel pump inlet strainer. A dirty fuel filter will cause the car to not run and a clogged inlet strainer will cause the pump to burn-out.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts