Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Single distributor points

Single distributor points

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am about to replace my distributor on my 78 308 GT4 with a programmable ECU version by Black Stallion and Superformance. However, I need to rebuild the old one to get the carbs set up etc... Currently the engine is stripped down to do tappets, rebuild carbs etc..

The current points in the distributor are totally shot (one of the reasons for the service) does anyone know what points are similar to the original Ferrari points? I feel loathed to fork out loads of money just to throw the lot away in a few weeks time!

Regards
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nick,

your points are shot

Nick,

your points are shot because the Condensors are shot.
When the condesors finally go bad the cause the points to arc, burning holes in the mating surfaces. Believe it ot not, the points tips can be filed down to as new or almost as new condition, however the rubbing block can't, and once the condesors go bad they cannot be repaired.

I think you're in Europe, but if not try AW Car Parts or GT CAR PARTS. Either can supply you with points & new version condensors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JRV,
I have changed th

Thanks JRV,
I have changed the whole lot; so hopefully it should run better now! The advance was also completely blocked up with grease and muck.

the condensors were date stamped 7e and 7d, i assume that means 1975 and 1974!!

I have posted a pic of the rebuilt engine in the photo section, looks really neat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>>The advance was also

>>The advance was also completely blocked up with grease and muck. <<

VERY common on the Marrelli lay down Distribs!

I'll look at the pics, I have a feeling they will look great, as I know you've asked a lot a questioms and want to do things pefefectly!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice - it l

Thanks for your advice - it looks like you were spot on about the condensors! I have just trawled through the millions of Maranello receipts and found that the points were last changed in 1984, at a cost of £4.00 each, that's about $8.00!! when i asked for some last week they are now up to £22.00 each or $44! Interestingly the condensors were never changed and as indicated by the date stamp. were orginal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick, where wasd your thread w

Nick, where wasd your thread with pics of the single Distrib setup? We need to add that to the Ferrari Mods Section!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NickT, in your post you mentio

NickT, in your post you mentioned that the advance was blocked up with grease and muck. I have recently changed the points on my 308gt4(single dist model), I didnt notice the advance, blocked or not! Can you tell me where it is and what to look for so I can check mine, you've got me worried now! Cheers Wayne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you pull the distributor of

If you pull the distributor off the engine and turn it over there are 5? screws, undo these and pull the base plate off. in there you will see the advance mechanism. it consists of two levers each with 2 weights and springs.
its is likely that this will be all gunked up., Its very easy to clean, just remember which spring/weight goes in each hole!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice one Nick, I'll have a

Nice one Nick, I'll have a go at this tonight. Have you fitted your electronic ignition system yet, if so how is it? Is it worth the 1k investment, i'm tempted!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sounds good, i like the sound

sounds good, i like the sound of the smooth tick over and rev pickup. Now i know what to ask santa for xmas!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Nick, Thnaks for that, glad

Hi Nick, Thnaks for that, glad I checked my advance mech, it was seized solid! Now I see the crudity of the advance mech and the benefits of the black stallion.. Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Crude" or better put.

"Crude" or better put...simplistic...

Pretty common on motors like gensets, that just follow one rev curve all the time..mounting horizontal, as JRV mentioned, is not optimium....

and recall there's been a few tech advancements in engine management in thirty years or so......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts