Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I switched to Royal Purp

After I switched to Royal Purple I have noticed that my oil pressure is lower than what it was before. Before it would read right at the 85 mark. Now it is at the 42 mark. These readings are after a good drive with the oil temp in the 200 210 range. I have checked the oil level and there is plenty in there. (Checking a few minutes after shutting down).

Is this normal with the synthetic oils?

Should I add more oil?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At low rpm you may see a drop

At low rpm you may see a drop in oil pressure, which does not mean that less oil is getting to the essential parts. But Dave has a good question here. My 355 wil show 100 under throttle and 35 at idle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil pressure will be affected

Oil pressure will be affected by temperature, weight, rpm, and condition of the oil (fuel dilution for example). The Owner's Manuals give minimum pressure at high rpm and normalized oil temps, but not idle. Synthetic oil of the same weight as was used before should have no effect on pressure, if all other conditions are consistent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Dave,

These figures ar

Hi Dave,

These figures are at idle after a good run. Under normal driving conditions the pressure is at the 85 mark. Before, the pressure would be at the 85 mark and slightly higher while driving. Not that big a change.

The previous owner was running Valvoline VR1 Racing SAE 50.

I used Royal Purple 20W50.

FYI... The manual reads:

The normal oil pressure is between 71 and 85 p.s.i. with engine at 6000 r.p.m. and oil temperature at 212 deg. F........With engine warm at idle condition, an oil pressure lower than 64 p.s.i is to be considered normal.

So it would appear that she is running normal. Thank you guys for the responses.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The previous owner was ru

"The previous owner was running Valvoline VR1 Racing SAE 50. "

This is a straight weight oil and should be in the 20 cSt range at 100dC.

"I used Royal Purple 20W50."

This is a rather typical multiweight oil and should be in the 20 cSt range at 100dC.

"These figures are at idle after a good run."

My F355 normally runs 55 PSI at idle at 100dC (210dF) on 5W40 oil, and will come off the track at 30 PSI (idle) with the oil temp at 265dF. At any RPMs above 3000 and any temperature on the oil I run above 90 PSI. (BTW I think these F355 numbers are higher than necessary for lubrication and protection excepting in race conditions).

"Under normal driving conditions the pressure is at the 85 mark. Before, the pressure would be at the 85 mark and slightly higher while driving. Not that big a change." :: "Before it would read right at the 85 mark. Now it is at the 42 mark."

The first sentance indicates normal oil pressures while the second does not unless you are trying to relate the oil pressure after a spirited run with normal operation in which case it is normal. Oil thins out as it get hot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently acquired a 1980 400

I recently acquired a 1980 400i. Upon cold engine start, the low oil pressure light goes out, pressure is indicated in the lower range for 2 to 4 seconds then the indicator needle drops below zero as if the engine was off. The low pressure light does not illuminate. No unusual engine sounds are evident. After 5 to 8 minutes the guage needle begins to show positive pressure and as the engine temperatures rise to normal, so does the oil pressure indication. Help Please.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome Randle!

Let's t

Welcome Randle!

Let's talk oil pressure! Maybe some specifics on your 400i that these experts can advise.....on my 308GTB (Royal Purple 20-50W here, also) the guage does often indicate zero at idle speeds

I blame the instrumentaion for this though as I think there is oil pressure there. Step 1 is usually to hook a mechanical pressure gauge into the engine somewhere to see what is really going on with the oiling system, then you start into chasing electrical gremlins!

Any 400i owner's care to comment?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, this is Randle Whitney. I

Hi, this is Randle Whitney. I found the oil pressure transmitter and corrected the spastic indication with a sharp (not hard) rap with a wooden mallet. The transmitter is located on top of the engine between the cylinderheads to the rear. Brass colored and reminescent of an old style vacuum pot. Thanks all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure to use the mallet fr

Make sure to use the mallet from the tool kit!

ROTFLMAO!

Great news! Drive on......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts