Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 83 308 QV. The proble

I have a 83 308 QV. The problem is driving on the interstate the car is fine. If I drive in traffic the gauge will get to 230-250 deg f. Both fans are working and coolant has been changed. I open the over tank and I can see the coolant swirling around so I guess that the water pump is fine. HELP...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When you changed the coolant,

When you changed the coolant, did you bleed the air out of the system, at the thermostat and at the radiator?

Milton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brandon,

I forgot to mentio

Brandon,

I forgot to mention one detail on my previous post, to proper bleed the system, you must have the heater valves open. Air can be trapped in the heater core, thus the requirement to open the valves during the bleeding process.

Milton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MIlton,

Thanks I will bleed

MIlton,

Thanks I will bleed the system and keep you posted.. again Thanks

Brandon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering does a 1983 30

I was wondering does a 1983 308 GTSI QV have a ignition advance and is it possible that it is stuck... I ask this because on a idle and slow speeds the temperature will creep to about 225 and if I go on a interstate it will run about 200.. Also is it possible to have a obstriction in the engine... because sometimes if it is running hot I rev the engine and the temp will lower..Just so you will know... oil has been changed... coolant has been changed, thermostat has been changed, radiator has been recored, water pump has been changed...What am I missing here...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thought I share my simila

Just thought I share my similar experience,
Brandon my 84 GTS QV did the same thing I had to bleed mine 3 to 4 time with the heater on to max and now its been running normal ever since
190-195deg. at traffic and about 185deg freeway.
So bleed it a few times more also bleed it from the thermostat housing if you have the bleeder screw.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brandon,
Did I meet you over

Brandon,
Did I meet you over at town square in Sugar Land this weekend? I was in my Dino.

I, like everyone else here, suggest you bleed it again. Don't drive it, you're going to cook it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, I have found the cooling

Dave, I have found the cooling problem with the 308 GTSI QV...I talked to a Ferrari Mechanic in Florida that has worked on these cars since the late 1960's... According to him Ferrari increased the horsepower in the 308's but never did increase the cooling system... HMMMMM... So he suggested to purchase an aluminum radiator or have the stock radiator recored with 5 rows and 16 fins per inch... I will find out very soon if this works.... Since my car is down I thought I would look at a few other problems that MR. Enzo let for us... the power windows... I found that the grease in the gearbox was hard...and I found that the voltage was only 5 volts at the motor.. If the voltage goes down the current must go up. So I replaced the grease in the gearboxes and I used some conductive grease on all of the connecting points and in the switches. It takes about 3-4 seconds for the window to go up .... a major improvement.. voltage at the motor 11.6 VDC...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brandon would you consider sel

Brandon would you consider selling your stock radiator if you go with the aluminum one? Thanks.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike... I am ordering an alumi

Mike... I am ordering an aluminum radiator for Nicksforaferrari.com... and Yes when it comes in I will sell you the old one...say 200.00...

Brandon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brandon is absolutely right. I

Brandon is absolutely right. I own a 1985 QV which I bought two years ago. The car had 36,000 kilometers on the odo and the it would overheat on a hot day if traffic would become heavy. Winter 2006, I took the engine out and did a total tear down. Changed gaskets, checked pistond and heads for pitting (everything OK), adjusted valves, etc. While at it, I powder coated the engine and cermakromed the exhaust system. In June, in rwally hot days, the water temp would still creep up and I was using 60% watet 40% antifreeze. I then came up with the conclusion was that the cooling system was insufficient. I ordered a custom made aluminium raditor from Bill Kydd in London, Ontario. No more problems.. The cooling system capacity was the problem !

Happy motoring

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see this cooling issue come

I see this cooling issue come up more then a few times and I guess I am lucky. My 77 runs at the 1st notch on the temp gage say 170* as does the oil temp. The twin fans almost never come on in the summer and they work fine. In fact when I turn on the AC you can see the temp neddle move down slightly. Its a stock cooling system with a rebuilt WP done 2 years ago. The 77 carb cars have 5 more HP then the 85 QV's so this isn't the issue. It a 19 qt. cooling system (same as a 350CID Chev) and it's only a 160 CID motor. So for the few cars that have this problem either they are in 100*+ weather all of the time or there is something wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve,

According to most Fe

Steve,

According to most Ferrari mechanics I spoke to there is an issue with 83-85 QVs. First, the engine bay is much hotter due to the cat. Your 77 doesn't have all of this anti-pollution stuff ! Read the Owners' Manual for 83-85 QV. Ferrari clearly states that owners should not install fog or driving lamps as this coud restrict air flow to the rad and cause overheating. This shows the cooling system capacity was limited. Second, most 83-85 QVs imported to north-America had A/C installed at the factory. Having the condenser sit in front of the rad with push fans just ahead was an inefficient desing.This is why Ferrari moved to pull fans and a larger rad in the 328 and a separate condenser unit. The 328 model never had colling problems even in the hottest temperatures. After the rebuild I performed on the engine, trust me, there was no mechanical issue with the car. The only issue was that Ferrari did not upgrade the cooling system to take into consideration the impact of anti-pollution equipment. Here are a few pics of my engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lucas, this is funny cause my

Lucas, this is funny cause my stock 84 QV does'nt overheat anymore after I blead it a few times and it gets around 95-100 deg. here and sometimes I get stuck on traffic for 45mins to an hour with no problem. I think you had restricted radiator. How many 308 owner complaints about overheating maybe a few but not all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brandon & Lucas are right.

Brandon & Lucas are right.
My '83 Qv has 68K on it. It overheats anytime I'm in stop-n-go traffic for 20-30mins. So you can imagine my skin crawls everytime I approach the GWB or the Lincoln tunnel from NY to NJ!
I pulled the radiator & had it checked last winter. No problems with it & very clean. I run a 60-40% water mix and that has helped a little. I can bleed to the cows get cooked and no difference. Every '83-85 owner with OEM cooling system I've chatted with has reported the problem. My mechanic with a '79 has no such issue. A buddy with an 85 just dumped +$3K into a new rad, fans, aux fans, water pump....the problem didn't go away, though it did get a little better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would bleed several times fi

I would bleed several times first..if that doesn't help I would have the stock radiator removed and inspected next (along with the thermostat). Also make absolutely sure your fans are running in the correct direction. I have seen several posts on the other site of guys finding their fans wired so the fan ran in the opposite direction!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The new rad solved the problem

The new rad solved the problem with my 85 QV. Herte a pic of the engine with new pistons from a Lancia Thema 85 which used the same Ferrari engine as the 308 QV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the engine with cermak

Here is the engine with cermakromed exhaust just before I put it back in the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last pic. The cermakrome helps

Last pic. The cermakrome helps keep the heat in the headers, reducing engine bay temp. I added an hyperflow catalyst and a Stebro exhaust. This combined with the pistons resulted in more HP and a cool ruinning car !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.