Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am alittle concerned about a

I am alittle concerned about a chirping noise my car is making. When I take off fast punching the gas and reving the RPM's up (not red lining) I hear a chirping noise. It sounds like the engine is working hard to produce fast acceleration. Is this noise normal? I also hear it when I have the RPM's high then let off the gas completley it starts to chirp alittle. It sounds like this can be normal but im not sure.....Any 308 QV owners out there hear the same noise?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The chirp for a QV exhaust is

The chirp for a QV exhaust is not normal but not that uncommon. It is coming from one of your exhaust tips. Inside each exhaust there are perforations with a packing material. As these cars age the material deteriorates.

There are a couple of solutions.

The most common is to contace Silicone Valley Auto in CA (do a search) who sell inserts for all four tips. These are just stainless steel inserts that are pressure fit inside each exhaust pipe.

An alternative, depending on how handy you are is to roll some correctly sized sheet aluminum or stainless steel into a roll and insert them yourself.

I heard of people also using exhaust sealer/cement to coat some of these perforations inside the muffler pipe. I don't like this solution.

Or just live with it.

I had a 1983 QV some time ago that chirped but only at idle. It never bothered me enough to do anything about but back then as these cars were just beginning to show their age the solutions were only just beginning to be discussed.

If I had your problem I would buy the Silicone Valley Auto inserts. There may be others as well who have made some up.

Good luck.

Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my '83qv had a high-pitche

my '83qv had a high-pitched whistle while cruising. Many mechanics speculated on all sorts of possibilities. It turned out to be an exhaust problem like mentioned above. To track the problem down, I cut the bottom out of a soup can, cut out a chunk of the remaining metal & rolled it to tuck into the exhaust tips & moved it through each tip until I figured out which tip was the offending tip.
This is obviously a short-term solution. During my first run, the exhaust system actually sucked the rolled metal into the muffler. I would have expected it to be blown out. But it was a fairly simple matter to retrieve it with a magnet & make the next liner a tighter fit for testing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CLyde,

Soup can. Pretty sl

CLyde,

Soup can. Pretty slick and definately a good way to make sure it is the exhaust.

Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!! I also have an 8

Thanks guys!! I also have an 83 model. Lets see what happens......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.