Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Has anyone out t

Hello all,

Has anyone out there replaced piston rings on a 308 QV? The reason i am asking is there a way possible to replace them without removing the engine? I wasnt sure if it was possible to remove the piston from the connecting rod through the oil pan? Also does anyone know of a cross reference for rings on this car so i can save some money. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good day Corey,

It may be p

Good day Corey,

It may be possible to do this in situ, but I do not think that there would be any savings. In-car removal of the heads, pistons, manifolds, and rings will be difficult, annoying, and time consuming. Given that it is not too difficult (read as not very time consuming) to remove the engine in a 308, you may find the times comparable. Further, having the engine out will give you much more freedom to inspect, repair, and clean other areas of the engine that would be difficult/impossible in situ.

Ferrari 308 pistons are Borgo pistons and so you may find non name brand rings for them. Depending on your current pistons state, you could also replace them with aftermarket pistons as well... See SuperPerformance in the UK:

http://www.superformance.co.uk/

Cheers,

Sam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts