Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous thread I reporte

In a previous thread I reported an oil line failure approx 3-4 weeks ago. I've since installed OEM oil lines ( at great expense) and filled the crankcase with Castrol 10w40 ( vs. the usual 20x50 due extremely cold weather here--ie zero or below every night for the past month!). I've started the car twice since replacing the lines and here is what I've observed: upon start-up, the oil pressure light goes out w/i a couple of seconds as it always has. However, the needle on the gage doesn't move at all for at least 30 seconds. When it does, it radiply floats up to normal range and operates normally throughout warm up, giving totally normal readings while idling and revving. When shutting the engine off and restarting it works right away.

Q--Since the oil light goes right out and the engine sounds fine, is this indicative of just a gauge/sender malfunction? Could the extreme cold cause something like this to happen with the gauge/ sender ( it's typically around 30 degrees in the garage after I heat it for awhile). Could there be a mechanical problem in the lube system causing this which could have resulted from the ruptured oil line? The gauge worked fine before this--but the weather was much more moderate then also. Is there a way of testing the gauge/ sender itself? Are there a separate senders for the oil pressure light and needle gauge or do they bth operate off of one? Any input would be much appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tap the gauge on start up or r

Tap the gauge on start up or right after and see if that solves it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to tap my guages every

I have to tap my guages every once in a while. Brings them right back into spec.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, guys. Upon

Thanks for the tip, guys. Upon start-up today, I tapped the gauge with my finger and it worked immediately. I guess it was the cold-gauge syndrome, thank the gods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bill,

Funny that you pos

Hi Bill,

Funny that you post this because we are having similar weather here. Yesterday, I started my car and observed the same thing - tapping the gauge solved the problem.

Anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This Winter is a bitch isn&#39

This Winter is a bitch isn't it, Anthony! I cannot wait for humane weather again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bill - yes, I can not wait

Hi Bill - yes, I can not wait for Spring.

Another Nor' Easter is coming my way - up to a foot of snow by Wednesday!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts