1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi JRV,

My first post on y

Hi JRV,

My first post on your superb website.

Inadequate performance of 328 (US model) A/C. System recharged & stem valves replaced 11 months ago at 30K service otherwise all components original (York compressor). Symptoms: minimal cooling at vents noted approximately 1 month ago with clear sight glass. Cold/static/equilibrium pressure 63psi at compressor service fittings. Unsure if this represented “normal” R-12 loss, I partially recharged with 12oz R-12. Cooling improved somewhat & bubbles in sight glass.

Two weeks later sight glass again clear with minimal cooling. Visual inspection of system (condenser/receiver/front compartment hoses) no obvious traces of oil. Did not remove black insulation covering expansion valve. No circumferential oil thrown at compressor clutch. Foolishly thinking system likely discharged I removed a receiver hose fitting & was rewarded with a 5-second blast of refrigerant for my efforts (suggesting however that system *does* hold some pressure). Pulling 27in vacuum slow leakage to 25in over approximately 30min and to 10in overnight.

Thus I suspect I have a static leakage somewhere. Can continue in either of two manners:

1. Attempt to isolate individual components by removing individual hoses & pulling vacuum on “sections” of the system. Probably can remove/pressurize/submerge condenser directly.

2. Introduce a liquid tracer dye & partial charge of HFC blend (Duracool) to system now to (hopefully) identify source of leak.

Are any particular components prone to failure on this series?

Current tools include R-12 gauge set and vacuum pump. Unfortunately do not own a Freon leak detector (yet) nor facilities to pressurize with nitrogen. Also intend on replacing receiver while I have the opportunity (any proper replacements or should I purchase from Ferrari UK?). Finally, are the A/C system o-rings unique in any way?

As always, your & others advice much appreciated.

Carl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Carl,

Welcome Aboard!!!

Hi Carl,

Welcome Aboard!!!

Want to thank you again for your Tech Articles, sorry for the delay, will get them all posted one of these days .

Sounds like you have a system leak or two. I would just do a partial fill with Ultra Violet Dye Penetrant. Then run the AC for awhile, then scan all the parts & hoses with the Ultra Violet Light. Absolutely the best way to find leaks, especially small slow leaks. The o-rings are standard off the shelf AC o-rings of several different, but standard sizes. I replace o-rings every time a joint is taken apart for any reason and replace Schraeder Valves whenever a system is empty or apart. Another common leak source is the Pressure Switch on the Reciever Dryer, although the system consists of many joints that can leak. Another common leak source is loose joints or joints reassembled with used o-rings. There are after market Reciever Dryers (Parker), however they are not identical like what Ferrari UK may sell.

HTH's

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JRV!

Will replace ev

Thanks JRV!

Will replace every o-ring I encounter. Pressure switch was one of my first thoughts but no oil on threads (besides...it's too easily accessible!)

Is UV Dye Penetrant commercially available?

Would you reccomend OEM reciever or better experiences with aftermarket?

Feeling better about this job already (almost!)

Carl

PS Will document this job also

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Carl,

you should be able

Hi Carl,

you should be able to get either freon with dye already in it or compressor oil with dye in it, it only takes about 4 oz's of the oil to be enough to spot. you can simply undo a easy hose and pour in enough to do the job.

I have never had a problem with aftermarket reciever dryers if you get one close to the same size. Find an AC parts wholesaler (maybe even a Pep Boys) and take your old parts, they can match it up easily. Make sure you replace the Schaeder Valves in the filler ports also.

Yes please document in your typical exceptional way and we'll get it added with your other articles.

Thanks & Best Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck with the repair Carl

Good luck with the repair Carl - Look forward to reading your documentation. 328 ownership was made possible for me only because of fine individuals such as yourself. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts