Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have another question.

Guys, I have another question.
What's the difference mechanically between the 365 boxers, and 512? Also any performance differences?
Thanks
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim,

You should note that t

Jim,

You should note that the performance statistics for the 365 BB included in the referenced website are based on a problematic June 1975 road test by Road & Track magazine. In this test, of which I have a copy, the car they tested suffered from clutch probelms (slipping and a tendency for the diaphragm clutch to go "over-center" e.g., pedal stuck to the floor, at high rpms. Because of this, they launched the car from rest gently until reaching 3000 rpm and they upshifted at 7000 rpm rather than the redline of 7700. As a result, the performance figures suffered and this was acknowledged by the Road & Track testers. However, they still reached a top speed of 175 mph. I have seen tests of other 365 Boxers with 0 to 100 mph times ranging from 12.2 secs. to 13.5 secs. I have owned both a 365 BB and a 512 BBi. It is my belief that all of the Boxers have about the same "peak" horsepower, but the 365 requires winding it up to over 7000 rpm while the 512s produce their power at lower rpms and with more torque.

Regarrds,

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve,
I figured somet

Thanks Steve,
I figured something was up with the 0-60 times of the 365. Either really high gearing, or a poor driver, or something. Plus the numbers for ferraris are just numbers. There's a whole other world between them that some people just don't understand. I currently have a carb'd 308, and though it doesn't have 400hp, it's not slow. The thing runs incredibly.
Steve, which car do you prefer? The 365 or 512?

Thanks,
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,

I prefer the 365 BB fo

Jim,

I prefer the 365 BB for the following reasons:

1) Aesthetics - I prefer the simpler, cleaner lines of the 365 without the front spoiler, side NACA ducts and wide rear wheels.

2) Driving experience - The 365 is a raw loud car and I like that in a sports car. Of course, I am comparing this with a 512 BBi which is more refined because of the fuel injection. I have not driven a 512 BB carbed so I cannot comment on this comparison.

You may also want to check out Michael Sheehan's website for the article entitled "Which Boxer for You" that he wrote for Sports Car Market magazine in 2000. His website is www.ferraris-online.com.

Regards,

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,
Thanks for the info.

Steve,
Thanks for the info. It's just what I needed.
That's a great site.

Do you still have the 365?

Regards,
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jim,

I've had my 365

Hi Jim,

I've had my 365 now for 21 years...
Still puts a smile on my face, every time I drive her!

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both the 365 and 512 are faste

Both the 365 and 512 are faster and lighter than the BBis as they don't have the 2 heavy FI systems and added alternator.

I think in Nichols book the 365 was slightly faster in the 1/4 mile than the 512.

Tha major differences are the 512 has a dry sump, lower rev limit, hydraulic dual disk clutch and 9" wheels rear vs 7.5

All Boxers are great IMO and relatively rare especially the carb cars in the US as they were very hard to pass EPA standards I would try and find the best car, their is a huge price difference in Boxers in Europe some are asking $130k+ US so many will find there way over there for a quick profit, I don't think you can bring them back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim,

Yes I still have my 36

Jim,

Yes I still have my 365 Boxer, and, like David, it puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it!

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David,

Could I give you a d

David,

Could I give you a deposit now for first right of refusal to buy your car when you're ready to sell??
(Bye the time you're ready to sell I may have the money!).

Do you have any more pictures of it on this site or on the net you could post?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sean - looks like you and I ar

Sean - looks like you and I are going to have a bidding war for David's car!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Russ and Sean,

You guy are

Russ and Sean,

You guy are just too funny...Candidly, I don't think I would ever sell this car. I bought her prior to the big rise in Ferrari prices back in the early 80s...and have had more than a few interesting offers on her. Despite the high cost to sort her out....and her high-strung demeanor at times, this one is a keeper. Sorry...

There are some photos posted in the Photo Section of this site, but here are a few more...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I knew you'd never s

Well, I knew you'd never sell it but I had to ask!

Beautiful. The BB's have always been my favorite. One day I'll have to mosey over to JRV's to look at the one he's got for sale (it's a BBi)...or maybe not. I can't afford it right now so I'd better stay away. My 308GTB will probably get jealous is she see's me lusting after another Ferrari. Especially a 12!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not to be outdone,here is my 3

Not to be outdone,here is my 365! I think this car will stay with me for a very long time as well

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greg
What an elegantly gogeou

Greg
What an elegantly gogeous car - and looks to be an early one without headrests and rhd.
Great photos!
I've got to get one of these!
thanks
rt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
David, I noticed you have afte

David, I noticed you have aftermarket wheels on your 365 BB, do youmind my asking what type they are, where your sourced them, and what impact they have had on the cars handling and performance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK,

I realize I need to be

OK,

I realize I need to be registered to post and I have now done so. Here we go again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts