Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any input on some

Anyone have any input on some of these older models?

You can get them relatively cheap a few hundred$$ from online places and locally but some need special gas to run and if they break I assume parts are hard to find and repair expensive.

Which ones are best and is 4 gas neccessary? I would like to have HC for reading missing issues, the cheaper Gastester and others only read CO so that leaves the big old machines on wheels.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Jeff...this is a very good

Hi Jeff...this is a very good question. I've been trying to dial my TR's fuel in for what seems like forever. Being relatively poor and far away from any fcar service centers...I've tried many "cheap" methods for setting the fuel mixture. But can't get it perfect. I tried using air/fuel ratio meters and stuff....but still not exactly right. I recently bought a Snap-On 4 gas analyzer on ebay, that is 10 years old, but with very little use and is in mint condition with all attachements and manuals. Your concern about needing gases to run I think refers to the calibration gases...a valid concern. I don't know the costs but I don't think it's very much. I too would like to hear what others have to say on this topic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got 2 Sun Snap On MGA 9

I just got 2 Sun Snap On MGA 9000s from a shop in N Cali, it was a package deal for $400, these were top of the line big units in the 90s before Cali went to 5 gas as they are 4 gas systems, they include timing light and engine diagnostics.

I am trying to get one to work and sell the other machine cheap as 1 was supposed to work but neither will get to the main menu,probably from sitting for so long or something is damaged in the proprietary 286 PC system, Snap On charges $180 1st hr and $100 after so I'll try and figure this thing out myself or find a cheaper tech if neccessary.

On these units if looking into buying one open the 2nd service drawer with the pumps and you will find small box device that looks like it has a silver dollar on the end of it, turn the machine on and if they don't get warm the machine is junk as these cost $3000 each to replace, luckily both of mine are fine on each machine.

The single gas testers CO such as Heathkit and Gastester are not very accurate or useful as you need a machine that reads HCs along the the other gasses you can narrow down an ignition miss or other issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.