Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Boxer out today its ru

Had the Boxer out today its running much better but not perfect, goes into the shop next week to a local Ferrari guy who knows carbs very well.

Anyway here's some pics

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gorgeous car! Congrats!!
I&#3

Gorgeous car! Congrats!!
I'd really like to move up into a Boxer someday!!
There was one at the Palo Alto Concours a few months back - the sound when he fired it up was just amazing (got me hooked for sure).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeff, the car is sitting perfe

jeff, the car is sitting perfectly!! it looks tremendous. i will have to get your advice so as to lower mine as you have. do you notice any difference in handling?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
beautiful - just perfect.
I r

beautiful - just perfect.
I really need to get a carb'd boxer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff,

the car looks Great a

Jeff,

the car looks Great and correct. I'll bet it handles better also

What's not quite right with the running?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments

Thanks for the compliments

Peter, before with the extra high ride height it handled differently, now it actually feels very tight with little body roll, i really like it.

From what I have understood the stock rear springs were around 120lbs and I have gone to 150lbs with the Eibachs, keep in mind these are also the same lower profile tires as before that are 1" shorter in diameter which will raise the car somewhat when I get a bigger proper size.

Heres another pic of the rear

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JRV,
It still has a slight he

JRV,
It still has a slight hesitation off idle on load when just moving, much improved from when I got the car though, the carbs seem to load up as well off idle and I need to rev it up a few times to clear them as well, also it doesn't seem to be giving full power as it should.My gas analyzer has been giving me incorrect CO readings as well so I really don't have the right tools to diagnose it anymore.

This local guy I am taking it to is supposedly a guru with carbs and Ferraris, he had someone else working for him before so he wasn't doing the actual repair work but his employee went to work for Penkse/Wynn Ferrari so he is back working on the cars personally now, I have kind of exhausted myself working on this car and rather be driving it than working on it anymore so even if it gets expensive its worth it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff,
Car looks really well s

Jeff,
Car looks really well still has that slight nose down stance that is part of the boxer look. but tell me, what type of wheels and tyres are fitted, the rears look very wide??
steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve,

They are stock 9Lx15

Steve,

They are stock 9Lx15 Boxer wheels, the tires are P6000 Pirellis 235/60/15 about 1" too small in diameter vs stock XWX sizes. Lowering the car makes them look wider.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff,

the car looks great!

Jeff,

the car looks great! you've come ALONG WAY from the first pics!!! Congrats and KUDOS for all the work you've done and all the sharing of your progress you've done with our Community!!!!!

Best Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks JRV,

The car has com

Thanks JRV,

The car has come along way to get to this stage, new paint, black epoxy trim, new shocks/springs, carb tuning, wires, rebuilt radiator fans, 3 eared knock offs, repaired stuck clutch and hose, carbs rebuilt, still have a few minor things to do in addition to get it running perfect as it should.

Its been fun but now I want to drive it and enjoy it, the pics here really don't do the car justice compared to seeing and hearing it in person, and thanks to you JR for this site, much info and help here from members has been invaluable.

Regards

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeff, that side view looks sin

jeff, that side view looks sinister! and you are right, pictures do not do boxers justice...in the flesh they have huge presence!!

how many sets of rear springs did you have to go through to get to where you are now? steve, mentioned the rake that looks so damn cool on a boxer...it's still there!

had you given any thought to that adjustable koni coil overs that caribou represents?

a labor of love jeff. you seem to be chasing and gaining on it. a well sorted boxer is a joy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peter,

I just went through

Peter,

I just went through 1 set of springs and spending time trying to chop my old ones, if you were following the thread I thought my shocks were frozen which they were partially and the cause for my high ride height in the rear so I purchased new shocks first then came to the conclusion the springs were wrong on the car so I replaced them with the Eibachs.

In hindsight knowing I needed to replace everything I think the fully adjustable Konis are the way to go if you can get them to the right specs concerning rates and bushing head diameter to fit in the mounts in the frame, they are more expensive but the extra adjustments would be nice.

I am very happy with the end result and glad I needed to do this anyway to get the lower height I ended up with than stock, it makes the car look more aggressive and improves the handling of the car.

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts