Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody ! first of all co

Hi everybody ! first of all congrats for your forum very informative and comprehensive.

I just purchased a 550 (98 - 14500 miles on clock). I would like to know if there are known weaknesses in these cars ? any trouble area that would require pre-emptive action ?

The car was not used for some time and few issues had appeared with the suspension (being taken care of by dealer underwarranty). apart from that everything seems ok but since it's my first F-world experience I guess I am turning paranoid....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the car is still under a wa

If the car is still under a warranty insure that the coolant hoses under the intake manifold get updated to the newest version that doesn't blow out. Many cars had the original version coolant hoses split at the most inopurtune moment.

Also, the car is now 5 yrs old, it needs a brake fluid flush and refill and all other fluids changed. I believe there is a wiring harness update for the harness in the engine compartment also.
Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok i will have that checked. I

Ok i will have that checked. Is that visually possible to see the difference ?

Driving it i can't help thinking that brakes could be more powerful as the car is heavy and fast (my other car is a 993 4S which has great brakes). Is there any upgrade possible other than the usual pads - brake liquid upgrade ? has anyone tried fitting larger discs / calipers ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi TA,

the new hoses are a

Hi TA,

the new hoses are a slightly different color than the origs. Insist they upgrade, the origs WILL blow out (split).

A good flusk of the old fluid & bleeding will likely restore the pedal feel. EBC makes better pads. Brembo has a 4 wheel upgrade kit (a little pricey).

Regards, JRV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts