Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Im in the process

Hi everyone, Im in the process of restoring my 79 308 that Ive had since 01. It was in need of attention, it was my first ferrari and I knew I was in for some work in the future but I didnt mind and I still have no regrets. I drove the car for a couple of years, rebuilt the engine before driving it the first summer. Rebuilt the gearbox the following winter and enjoyed it for one more summer. Its now in a million pieces. Of course once you get into it you find more than you anticipated but I have learned plenty about 308s, the differences between US and euro along the way and the restoration has opened my eyes in a sense when I think back to a 70 cuda restoration I did in the late 90's. Ferraris are built like race cars, attention to detail is incredible when they designed them and I blame this 308 for spoiling me in a way. I cant go back to a domestic. I like how the cudas and challengers look, the torque and so on but you cant beat the "complete" package ferrari builds into every model. Anyway, Here are some before pics and ill post them in sequence with some blurbs here and there.

Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I bought the car, it had

When I bought the car, it had 288gto replica rims on it by Momo, ive since sold them, bought QV repop rims which sucked, then I bought new 328 rims from ferrari Uk which were great but Im a purist in some ways so I sold them too and recently bought a set of Genuine QV rims from Trutlands, had them refinished and now they wait in boxes with many many other new and refinished parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im letting the pics do the tal

Im letting the pics do the talking but if there are any questions, feel free to ask..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have piles of reference pics

I have piles of reference pics of thing like wiring and switch plugs, orientation of things hidden once the car is back together but they seem boring so Ill leave them out. I must have a thousand pics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill post some more tomorrow, c

Ill post some more tomorrow, currently the car is in paint but far from finished.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great stuff Paul! Thanks for

Great stuff Paul! Thanks for sharing.
In the first pic, it looks like you have the 328 wheels on the car. Not to dredge old material (heaven forbid a repost) but I could not remember how you mounted the 328 wheels to a 308.
Like you, I too have a '79 308. I have been told that to fit them properly, one must use a 13mm spacer on the front to clear the hub. If memory serves, you modified the hub itself. I like the idea of putting more modern rubber on the car with this type of fitment. I have also had good experiences with Ferrari UK and Hill Engineering (wheel spacers and bolts).
Any and all thoughts with regrad to modern wheels and proper fit are thoroughly welcome!
John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey John, Ill post more pics m

Hey John, Ill post more pics maybe tonight, I have resized a bunch of pics to post. As far as the rims go, I shortened the spindle slightly with a grinder, there was unused stock sticking out past the retaining nut that interfered with the revised dust cap. Then I shortened the cap, reworked the shape on an anvil so it was tapered rather than a buldge and installed it. I also ran for a season without the caps at all. The ferrari center caps fit so tightly in the rim that dirt and water couldnt get in anyway and I had no grease leakage from the hub either. I didnt drive the car in the rain anyway, takes the fun out of the drive.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts