Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oppurtunity to buy a

I have an oppurtunity to buy an 82 308 with 28000 miles.I drove it a bit and it seems to run fine.The windows go up VERY slowly.I cannot get a Ferrari mechanic to come and do a PPI.I found a local guy and he says it's fine BUT,he's not a Ferrari guy,although he has worked on them .I'm not sure if the car will go 30 miles to the mechanic.The body is straight ,the interior is ok.What would be the worst case scenario as far as money?Windows,30000 mile service etc. based on the engine already passing a compression test?What would be a reasonable offer to the owner(a proverbial little old lady from Pasadena)Thanks for any input.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
80 to 82's have the worst

80 to 82's have the worst reputation out of the bunch. The windows are known to be slow, but without records and a service history anything north of 25K would be risky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slow windows are normal but ca

Slow windows are normal but can be improved.....if you can see receipts for timeing belts fine, otherwise figure $1,200 for that and a hedge fund of a couple thousand to sort it if it has other needs..

They are of an age now where suspension steering and shocks may all need attention....still it's all about condition, so do like me and forge blindly ahead!

The early injected cars are the slowest though he's right about that......

Find a 76 - 77 car and take it for a spin...you'll see....but those are also need ymachines these days...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks so much for in

Hey guys thanks so much for info.Here's what I know.It needs 30k service .Hasn't been done.There are receipts dating back to new but they are faded and hard to read.(3rd owner,I think)Has had minor upkeep from a local non Ferrari mech..I plan on figuring in $4-5k for service and misc.Shocks and steering seem ok.A/C doesn't blow cold.Is this normal for these cars or is it a typical defect and what is the cost,worse case?What is the cost worst case on the windows?I know it's not the perfect year and it really isn't the model I want but I think I may be able to get it for $12-15000,so I can play with it until I find what I really want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4-5K would be a start.

You

4-5K would be a start.

You checked comrpession & leakdown?

The ac can be expensive to fix if the hoses that go from the compressor to the front of the car leak. This is a time consuming job to do. But even when the AC is 100% of best case- it's still pretty weak.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a compression check done

I had a compression check done but not a leakdown.What is the worst case scenario cost wise for slow windows.My research comes up with $2500.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Windows can usually be greatly

Windows can usually be greatly improved with replacement of the OEM grease....which by now resembles wax!!!

It's not a deal breaker....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanted: Ferrari seats in good

Wanted: Ferrari seats in good condition. Custom automotive themed furniture. Couches, bar stools, office chairs, beds… all types of items for your home, created out of authentic parts from your favorite marquee. Examples posted at www.loomis-design.com Contact Robert J. Loomis III, [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts