Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone Im am a new F o

Hello everyone Im am a new F owner and new to f-talk. My issue is as Im driving my 308 QV I can feel warm air comming from under the dash board, all the temp control lever are in the cold position and all fans are off. Does anybody knows why or where its comming from and how to fix it? Thank you all for any assistance.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mike,

Welcome to F-Talk an

Mike,

Welcome to F-Talk and congratulations on your new toy. You will have many great miles of fun with her.

It has been a while since I have been in a 308, but I had a similar issue with mine. One of my defrost vents was not closing all the way.

Check your defrost vents. If they are open you will have hot air blowing in. They are the two levers next to the climate control levers.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeremy Im glad to be he

Thanks Jeremy Im glad to be here and Im realy happy with my toy, anyway thanks for the info. I will check the defrost vents but doesn't that come out from the top to defrost the windshield?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mike,

One thought that c

Hi Mike,

One thought that comes to mind is the large rubber gasket that surrounds the steering shaft as it exits/enters the car. With the radiator up front it is not uncommon for hot air to leak in as the gasket shrinks from age. I would get under the steering wheel from the inside and shine a good flash light at the point where the steering assembly exits the car to make sure there is not a big void. If this is the culprit some self adhesive insulation nicely cut may help.

This may not be the problem, but easy enough to check.

Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Drew, I din't think

Thanks Drew, I din't think about that, that sure make sence I will check it ASAP I hope thats all it is.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are vents under the dash

There are vents under the dash as well as the ones on top. Drew's suggestion could be a possible cause also. Let us know what you find....

BTW... Post some pics of her!!!

JL

(Message edited by f512m on July 06, 2006)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

There's a vent, o

Mike,

There's a vent, on the left side of the dash...just above the clutch pedal. I'll bet that's the source of the hot air.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks David I saw that let me

Thanks David I saw that let me try to restrict the vent and see what happen.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no air comming out of

There is no air comming out of the under dash vent left or right but still getting warm warm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
other possible things to check

other possible things to check are the upper sealing gaskits under the front bonnet & the vinyl cover on the rear side of the spare tire.

like mentioned, since the radiator is in front and that hot air can reach the dash area (even though it's covered) any leaks of any type can allow the hot air to pass into the cockpit.

and as mentioned I would double chech the heater control lever positions at the control valves and not rely solely on lever position.

HTH's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could it be also that since I&

Could it be also that since I'm missing the foam under the front trunk that goes between the radiator and the spare tire area is also why I'm getting warm air inside?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>>>Could it be als

>>>Could it be also that since I'm missing the foam under the front trunk that goes between the radiator and the spare tire area is also why I'm getting warm air inside?<<<

Well it's certianly not going to help your problem. I reccomend replacing any missing foam.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks JRV you're right it

Thanks JRV you're right it may not help but it would'nt hurt to replace it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its a real easuy thing to do a

Its a real easuy thing to do and will help cooling, IMO as it forces the air thru the radiator...it should have two strips on the bonnet and also some corner blocks and side strips at the rad support, IIRC there is even one on the bottom!

A/C supply has some better stuff called Armorflex I think....lasts longer IMO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, sorry I couldn't be

Mike, sorry I couldn't be more specific, not knowing more about your problem, but Alan gave the detailed account of what the foam is there for. And it does prevent alot of the hot air from entering into the spare tire area also (if it's missing, and ultimately into the cockpit).

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi.
I have an '83 308qv w

Hi.
I have an '83 308qv with the same problem. I've checked the steering column - it's fine. I've replaced the foam (home depot is fine or T-rutlands if you want custom-fitted stuff) surrounding the radiator. That helped a little. I actually see air distortion (heat) rising from the fender vents were previously there was none.

I've checked that the cables actually open/close the heater channels, and they seem fine.

My next attempt is to replace the foam in the heater core/AC core in the cabin. But I understand from Ferrari Chat this is a bugger to do, so I'll save it for Winter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Alan And JRV
Do you gu

Thanks Alan And JRV
Do you guys have a Phone# or website address for T-rutlands? thanks in advance.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 770 493-8852....

Hol

I have 770 493-8852....

Hold on I have a flyer on the workbench let me look for it.....LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts