Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time I've used a

Hi, first time I've used a discussion board - hopefully someone can help me with a couple of questions I have.

I have an 89 328 GTS, recently I ran it low on oil and had an oil surge due to low oil. Topped up the oil which, I know I should've kept an eye on the level but we are where we are. Today I was driving quite hard over the local hills and noticed that the oil pressure went up from the quarter point on the gauge to the halfway point and stayed there. Normally it is at the quarter point and only changes when accelerating.

More concerning are the spots of oil I found on the rear deck afterwards.

I know I am a novice concerning this type of car but I really would appreciate some advice from an experienced 328 owner.

Cheers

Roy (UK)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think the Oil Press in the M

I think the Oil Press in the Middle would be more or less normal on the limited history that you posted. You don't really explain your comment "low on oil"....1 quart low or 8???? Makes a big difference!!!

As far as oil on the Engine Lid (bonnet).....this requires an inspection of the engine to see where it's coming from. It could well be a wrongly tightened oil filler cap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has 59,000 miles and h

The car has 59,000 miles and has been regularly serviced, although the next service will be due shorlty. To my knowledge the car hasn't been modified and is it's original state.

I bought the car two years ago and in that time I have put 20,000 miles on it, touring the UK and Europe including a trip back to the factory. It has never let me down. I am used to driving the car hard and enjoy letting the car 'stretch its legs'

Regarding the oil problem, If I said the dip stick was on MIN at the time of the oil surge that would be generous. The oil level is at present half way between MIN and MAX. How much should I put in to bring it up to the MAX level? How much oil should the car use - roughly?

I have checked the oil filler cap and its tight, so I don't think the oil spots are coming from there. The car has been in my garage for 6-7 hours since I last drove it - there are no oil spots on the floor under the car. I'll have a better look in the morning.

I am using helix fully synthetic oil.

Any advice you could give me about the routine care and maintenance would be greatly appreciated.

PS If you want any pictures of the car around Europe - Happy to oblige.

Cheers

Roy Fraser

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roy, love to see the pics, and

Roy, love to see the pics, and driving it hard is what Ferraris are all about so this is not the issue. They hold 9 qts so 1 qt will have no effect on oil pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts