Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a stereo,

I recently installed a stereo, amp and midrange into my f355. 2 days later, while driving at nite, the stereo started to turn off and on by itself, and very quickly died. After the stereo died, I noticed the headlamps, dashboard air con and other electrical things started to get dimmer or lose electrical power, before the car completely died shortly afterwards and I could not restart the car because there was no electrical power. My mechanic told me that the alternator was generating too little voltage/amps. I suspect that the shop that installed the stereo, amp and midrange did not connect the system properly therefore creating a ground, or recommended a stereo system that drained too much electricity from the f355. As a result, it created electrical problems with the alternator. Could an improperly installed stereo system or a stereo system that requires too much electrical power create problems for the alternator?

Your comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Allen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alternators can die for msany

Alternators can die for msany reasons, especially 9 yr old Alternators.

If the stereo is big enough then with all the other high consumables on it could be more than a stock Alt can handle. You might need to look into a higher output Alt.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also look into upgrading your

Also look into upgrading your battery to an Optima Yellow Top jell battery. These batteries have a deep cycle like a marine battery but for automotive use. They are designed specifically for cars and trucks with high accessory loads like high amperage stereos or winches used on 4x4 trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts