Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,the time has come to make

Well,the time has come to make a buying decision.'98 f355 spider, 23000 mi, ppi by Lamborghini Dallas.Seemed to be thorough,found a few glitches to fix,nothing huge.Compression test showed 165-170 4th stroke,leakdown less than 5% on all cylinders.However,it appears that this was done on a cold engine.What I am reading on this site (my new schoolhouse) indicates this should be done with warm engine.Too late to call shop today.Am I asking the wrong question? Many thanks for all the excellent info from collective braintrust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
JC,

For 25 years now, I&#39

JC,

For 25 years now, I've been doing leakdown tests with a cold engine. Less than 5% would certainly indiate a solid engine...and likely that number might even improve slightly with a warm engine. Frankly, I've never paid much attention to compression numbers, other than looking for consistency.

I, by no means, am a 355 expert...but have rebuilt several hundred engines thru the years.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David
Thanks so much for

David
Thanks so much for that information. Do you get the impression I am getting a bit nervous? Looks like I will jump in tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Best,JCM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nervous...buying a Ferrari. HA

Nervous...buying a Ferrari. HA! It's all part of the "experience".

Just make sure that the PPI is comprehensive and ask questions if you're not sure what the issues are. Ferraris are great, great cars to drive, but can be quite expensive when things go wrong...

Good luck and I hope the car checks out to your satisfaction!

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi JC,

welcome to FTalk!! [

Hi JC,

welcome to FTalk!!

agree with David that Compression is basically a comparison test that may or may not indicate the need for more tests = leakdown. A leakdown test is difficult & time consuming to perform correctly & accurately, and this is the main reason it's not the "first test" so to speak.

I would say warm is best, however, leakdown is a function of sealing and therefore not dependent on temperature near as much as a compression test is, and like David I have tested many engines for leakdown cold over the years to establish a baseline of info about internal condition.

My one question would be......who is selling the car??? It's generally NOT a good idea to have the seller perform such tests!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI JRV
Thanks for your respo

HI JRV
Thanks for your response,I notice that you always seem to have great info on all tech topics.I have developed a vague idea of your background from my reading and get the impression that you are(pardon the expression)THE MAN!
The seller on this vehicle is private,and I had the vehicle brought to Lamborghini Dallas for the PPI.They are also doing some repairs for me on this car that were not major(less than a million dollars!)and seemed pretty astute about their oversight and advice.If I remember correctly,you have had some dealings with them in show sponsorships. Any thoughts on integrity/expertise?
Thanks for all your help,knowing some of the the right questions really helps.

Best,JCM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should mention that the Bigg

I should mention that the Biggest Reason why it is suggested to do A Leakage Test "Warm/Hot" is that under certian conditions the valve seats on any open valves at rest can develop depositis of corrosive combustion material combined with humitity that could under certian circumstanses prevent a valve from completely & totaly closing and fully sealing in a natural state...this of course could lead to false readings to the negative side. Experienced mechanics know about this "dirty condition" and know how to clean the seats on a cold engine to insure these possible deposits don't skew the numbers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the LoD mechanic is a

Actually the LoD mechanic is a Ferrari Mech., he worked for FoD until approx mid to late 03?? He has seemed knowledgeable about Ferraris in my limited dealings with him.

The owner of LoD OTOH is not someone I would have any faith in. His Dealings with me on a past Lamborghini event showed that he is not a person of character or honesty. I was actually warned about him from a very important Dallasite that was very familiar with him, whom I've known for about 20 yrs., but unfornately for me I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt to my extreme regret.

In retrospect I can understand that someone like myself that has been working on these cars over 30 yrs and been in business as an independent for over 20 would be a percieved threat to a dealers Holy Grail...the dollar!!! I took my lumps, learned my lessons, and I'm still doing what I do..working on Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

I hope you can understand that "secrecy and the mystique" of the inner workings of these cars has always been the Dealers trump card until the advent of Forums like FTALK, where true experts share info in virtually real time on a National & Global Basis. This type of exchange of expertise can and does "errode the profits" of a once Monopoly held by the few. Because of this we are Both Hero and Enemy here!!!!

Last, I am not the Man here...we have MANY EXPERTS on this Board. Probably the Largest Group of Ferrari Experts assembled together ANYWHERE. What we try to do is Compliment Each Others Expertise to insure that every FTALK Member recieves the absolute Best information and advice based on the collective wisdom of all our guys that share!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JRV,

I have to agree with y

JRV,

I have to agree with you on your last post. Forums like this have opened up an avenue for folks like me who are car enthusiast and thirsty to learn. I for one appreciate the efforts of many contributors on these technical forums and feel a great deal of fcar owners do not take advantage of the wealth of information available to them.
There are honest and hard working dealers who strive to bring you back for more good business and then there are some who operate their business like there is no tomorrow. This is the honest truth and regardless of what type of cars they sell/service they all operate under the same blue sky.

Cheers,
Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts