Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quandary I'd like

I have a quandary I'd like some opinions on. I'm actively shopping for a Ferrari. Ive owned a 308 in the past, along with a slew of British cars. I want to move up to V-12. I've got my eye on two very different cars.
One is a 512BBi, brutally quick, reasonably comfortable (Im 6'2). The other is an older (1972) 365GTC4. The classic Ferrari styling, sensuous lines, wonderful sounds.
It's a given that the 512 will cost approx 150% the price of the GTC4. Nonewithstanding that, and given that the cars are in similar good shape: which would you rather have? Why?
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I own both. That said, are yo

I own both. That said, are you an introvert or an extrovert?

The GTC4 is vintage, front engine V12, classic UNDERSTATED Ferrari. Cruising at high speed is its desire. Very comfortable, great engine sound, expensive IF you need engine repair. However, engine is bullet proof. Rear load-levelers should be rebuilt if not already done.

Boxer is more outgoing, different sound, a bit faster, and requires engine-out service if not done. Boxer gets more attention.

Both love to be tinkered with. It comes down to your personality, rather than the virtues of one car over another. Both are likely to go up in value. Boxer has already moved $20k up at least. C4 enjoys limited numbers (390 produced). Boxer enjoys limited U.S. supply. 2+2 may be the weight hanging on C4, while intermediate age bogs down the Boxer (not old enough, not new enough).

I suspect this is little help. It will come down to the feeling you have in your viscera.

Have fun.

Jim S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like always Jim is concise in

Like always Jim is concise in his explanation.

I would have to question whether a guy 6'2" would truly fit comfortably in a BB. Some do but many don't. The early rear engined cars had trouble with enough cockpit room to fit tall guys comfortably from what I've heard from them...at 5'7" I have no idea what they are talkin about though ..all the cars fit perfect to me..

Both cars are excellent examples of Ferraris heritage imo...so I'll agree with Jim that it comes down to how the guy & the car "fit together", cause once you buy one it becomes a package deal.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are two of my favorite c

These are two of my favorite cars, and two of the only cars I might leave the Mondial for.
That being said, have been in both (I'm 6'3", 250#).
The 365 GTC/4 is deceptively small inside and a bit cramped around the steering wheel with my legs. It's do-able, but not near as much room as the Mondial (then, few Ferraris are). Would be ok if the steering wheel could come up a bit.

VERY surprisingly, I have lots of room (even headroom!!) in a berlinetta boxer. I found it very comfortable. You can't sit up like in a Mondial, but the seats are better.

I'd go for a Carb'd 365 (lighter, more personality) or carb 512 BB unless they can raise the steering wheel and I just didn't figure it out.

Just my experience.
Now if I could only fit TR seats in the Mondial.....
best
rt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RT- my experience is somewhat

RT- my experience is somewhat different. I find a great deal of room in the C4. Gobs of room. The Boxer is find for me at 6'0", and I suspect it will envelope a 6'2" gent as well. The steering wheel is quite easy to adjust - four cross-bolts where the steering column is supported. Loosen these and adjust.

Can't go wrong with either. Just different.

Jim S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have driven several Boxers a

I have driven several Boxers and find the Boxer to be a tight fit for me at 6'3" and 200 pounds. I have long legs and have trouble getting my right leg into position so that I can drive the car. The steering wheel prevented me from getting my right leg into position since I did not have enough clearance to slide my leg under the wheel. From previous posts, it appears that the wheel can be adjusted.

I also found the driving position to be uncomfortable. The driving position, classic Italian Monkey position, was raked too far back for me (at least 45 degrees), and I needed to have my legs spread far apart. Again, this may be resolved if the steering wheel can be adjusted. My 308QV fits me much better and is a more enjoyable car to drive because of this.

As a final note, each time I drove a Boxer I was only in the drivers seat for 10 minutes or so. I would like to drive one for a good hour so that I can become familiar with the car and make a final judgment as to whether or not I really want one. While I love the styling and power of the Boxer, it would be silly for me to purchase one only to discover that I will not enjoy driving the car. It would then become an expensive paper weight in my garage.

As to the 365 GTC/4, it is a great car that is undervalued. For the money, this is the better deal of the two cars. Drive each one, determine what your budget and needs are, and make your final decision. Either way you will be buying a great car.

Good luck.
Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
James
That's great to hea

James
That's great to hear - I have always liked the C4 since the 70s. Will try to find one and up adjust the steering wheel and re-evaluate. Am looking for a black one with the Cromodoras if anyone knows where one is.
Ken - I'd agree the C4 is undervalued - if just for the sound alone.

best
rt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen: Thanks for all the

Gentlemen: Thanks for all the advice. I value your expertise. Whichever way I end up going I am sure I'll be calling upon it in the future... with your kind permission.
I'd like to change the focus of the question a bit if I may. In my collection I have dramatically quick cars, and great highspeed cruisers both... although I must say nothing equals the grace of that C4. And that sound that RT referred to...its nothing short of intoxicating. Yet the Boxer is a marvellous brute. Its beauty lies in the fact that theres absolutely nothing subtle about it. The last of the hairy Ferraris as one friend put it.
As to comfort, I found the Boxer about equal to the 308 in head and leg room and a bit wider. I could take my 308 out on 3 or 4 hour road trips with reasonable comfort. By the same token, the 308 has no PS (as Im sure you know) so even a leisurely jaunt turned into an upper body workout. I do have one specific question: is there ANY luggage space in the Boxer? We do like to go on overnight runs and my wife insists on being well packed.
As you might can tell I am somewhat on the fence still. I tend to keep cars in the collection a long time... the 308 was with us 11 years and we have an E type we've had for nearly 23. So future market behavior is of secondary consideration. The more important factors are
1) the historical significance within the marque
and 2) the serviceability and reliability of the two models. I drive my cars alot and we need to keep them healthy.
Finally, we will be doing prepurchase inspections this next week. Are there any particular weaknesses in either model we need to be especially vigilant of?
Thanks!
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steven: There is ample luggag

Steven: There is ample luggage space in the Boxer, for an overnighter. My 83 BBi has a compact spare in the front, allowing for the room.

I would say there is enough space for a weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RT - sorry if I was not clear.

RT - sorry if I was not clear. The steering wheel adjustment I refer to is for the Boxer. I have not checked if the same can be performed on a C4.

Steve - as far as luggage space in the Boxer. If your weekend bag includes much more than a toothbrush, you may find it tight. It does have a forward luggage compartment, but won't hold golf clubs. However, the luggage rack works great for speeds below 200 kilometers per hour.

Jim S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don´t believe there is an ad

I don´t believe there is an adjustment for the steering wheel on a C4.
I am 51 and just couldn´t take more than about an hour in my last 308 (an ´84 QV). No matter how I adjusted the steering wheel and seat, my right leg would cramp up! And I am only 6' tall.
I now have a C4 and have driven it 4 hours with no problems. Maybe they are an "older mans" car but they fit me perfectly in style, driveability, excitement and "tinkerability". High speed cruising is a blast, and the cars when set up properly will handle very well on a challanging road.
Good luck in your search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts