Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LOL!

I'm going to have

LOL!

I'm going to have to post a pic, I guess!

Your exterior door handle pull has a shaft that runs down into (thru) a slot in the steel of the door panel.

This oval grommet trims out this slot in the steel door, preventing side to side (front/rear) movement, and protecting the painted surface from chipping....

It's not a huge deal, I guess my yellow car must have had them, 'cuz my argument with the Body Shop broke out as they replaced my right hand door with a new unit. Don't try THAT at home! LOL!

Then my search for them began as I had the other, driver's side door replaced, after the GM Regional guy caved it in with a Surburban......

My steel car has no time to rust, as Houston azzholes keep smashing into the darn thing....it came home last week though, looking pretty sharp.
Now if I can just find the yellow Ferrari bag with the two damn grommets, I'll be golden! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Alan. I don't hav

Thanks, Alan. I don't have any grommets on my car. The handles don't interfere with the bodywork in function and don't rattle around at all. You gotta get down on your hands and knees to get a glimpse of the area we're talking about. I do have the little rubber stoppers on the handles where they rest against the door. Thank God for that! They're probably $40 a pair.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave,

The rubber stoppers a

Dave,

The rubber stoppers are black rubber cylindrical things. Mine are still pliable. It looks like you could whittle a pair out of a test tube stopper and glue it in the hole. It'll save you a fortune.

You can even use a tissue punch of the right diameter to do this. I have a bunch of punches in my office. Let me know what diameter stopper you need, in millimeters, and I'll make a set for you.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dropped over to FoH today an

I dropped over to FoH today and told Russell in Parts to be expecting ya'lls call!

They laughed hysterically and gave me that new book on the F430. I'd take one if I could get the six speed stick......and a bag with $250K in it! LOL!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good idea Barry.

That's a good idea Barry.
I just picked up a couple of rubber stoppers, and a cheap punch set from Harbor Freight.

My car is still not back from corner weighting/alignment,
although that probably doesn't really matter, as the pieces are missing from my car.

If someone out there still has them on the backs of their door handles,
and would be kind enough to rough measure the diameter and thickness
I would sure appreciate it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave,

That little rubber st

Dave,

That little rubber stopper is a bit more complicated than I indicated. It measures 11 mm in diameter and 6 mm in height. This is the part that you see externally which contacts the window frame. It's held in place by a 4.5 mm diameter core or extension of the rubber material which fits into the hole in the door latch. No doubt there's a knob end to it which retains the stopper.

It would be hard to duplicate the entire rubber stopper with the retaining projection, but I suggest you use your punch set to fashion the business end of the stopper (11 X 6 mm), bevel the circumfrence on the end where contact is made on the window frame, and use an adhesive to hold it in place on the latch. You might have to adjust the height of the stopper to account for positioning of the latch on your car. It will look like the original part, just secured differently. But more importantly, it will function like the original part.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Barry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts