Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terry wrote a great Daytona st

Terry wrote a great Daytona story on another site that will remain nameless http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15490
So I thought I would add one here. It seems Terry and I lead parallel lives. I currently have 2 old car projects, a one owner '69 911S and a '71 365 GTB/4 (14155). The Daytona has been apart for the last 18 months and is now begining to go back together. Bill Badurski has had my motor and trans for complete rebuilds and will reunight them with body/chassis in the next two weeks.

Long story short I'm a sucker for a orphan project. I didn't want a "done" car and thought I knew how to make the restoration work without getting too upside down. Like many before me I am many months later looking up from a very deep hole. Fortunately little rays of sunshine find there way into my hole and keep me writing checks. Two weeks ago we fired up Bill's hot rod motor and did a computer breakin prior to doing a limited power run to 7000 rpm. The sound was music and had every tech in the shop running to watch this Italian b**ch scream.

Maybe Bill will chime in with more details, but in a nut shell we did: slightly oversized higher compression pistons with all internals balance and matched, P6 cam to LeMans spec (per Dr. Badurski) velocity stacks and headers. Power to 7000 rpm was 395 and climbing. I have attached some charts for those that are interested.

Unfotunately, it will be a few more months before I can experience the thrill Terry did. The 911 will be done shortly but I don't think it's 2.0L flat six will quite be the same.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, thanks for the kind wor

First, thanks for the kind words Mark, and the patience. The engine was run on the dyno with incremental increases of both rpm and load per Ferrari instructions in the Daytona shop manual. Rather a lengthy process as intervals are about 40 minutes each. This was a distinctly different test procedure than the guys are used to, as the professional drag race stuff they primarily do is run until temps normalize, and then nailed to full rpm, full load. The whole process takes about 30 minutes versus the day and a half we did for the Ferrari engine. My understanding is that the comp cars with this compression ratio and cam combination did 402 HP at 7700, so we hit or slightly exceeded that goal. We elected to keep the compression ratio lower than the Series III comp cars to allow for use of the car on available pump gas anywhere. It was a fun project, and now I'm doing another just like it.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top