Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am an electronic tec

Hi All, I am an electronic technician of 35 years and I am considering going full time on repairing the fuse\relay cards in Ferraris especially the 1980-88 Mondails. Can anyone give me their opinion on what kind of market is out there and what would be a competetive price...Thanks Electrotech...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's pretty huge.....there

It's pretty huge.....there are independent fabricators of the 308GTB fuse blocks using Bussman type components but the Mondial is more complicated....

I say go for it....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see a market but not sur

I can see a market but not sure if it can throw enough cash to make a living on.
Give it a shot if it's something you enjoy and aren't dependant on the profits to eat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would pay some $$ if someone

I would pay some $$ if someone would replace my 88 Mondial Fuse Box card with a husky wiring harness and uprated connector clamps...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rturner,I lost a nights sleep

rturner,I lost a nights sleep thinking of how to fix your 88.I saw the picture of your car with snow in the background.Not to practical to send me to "snowland" or you to send your car to the Arizona desert.Would you be comfortable with doing the required wiring(or if you know one of those Asian electronic assemblers off the assemby line)and wire in a new board if I send you a kit with:
special wire strippers that will strip the wires without taking a few strands with it
a set of wire connectors with the crimper especially made for those connectors
wiring labels for labeling wires before they are cut
a new high circuit board with AGC fuses and non mechanical point relays.
wiring instructions (there may be a max of 75 wires
a hammer to bash the crap out of the old board and connectors after the job is done!
You will NEVER have electrical problems with your vehicle again.I will price out parts today. Under a $1000 for sure.I have engineered these kinds of jobs in the Aerospace business and can keep it fairly simple..Electrotech

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The possibility of a kit sound

The possibility of a kit sounds interesting for sure. I think I would be ok with doing it - I have often thought of getting some aviation grade wire, my soldering set and the wiring diagrams and just doing it. Would your kit uprate the loom connectors? Would this re-wire the back of the current fuse box or replace it?

A replacement aviation mil-spec grade metal box that plugs into the current loom would be nice - and it would sell like wildfire as a bolt in replacement as the stock boxes are rare. A couple of ads in Forza and you would have a couple hundred orders I would think.

For me, I especially like using Canon plugs; In any event I would be VERY interested in the relays and even perhaps going to aircraft style circuit breakers.

Alternatively, what if we sent our boxes to you?

Thanks for your intrerest!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes that would be fine..how ma

yes that would be fine..how many boxes do you have? I can relace the circuit board with a new upgraded one and return...Is your e mail the same as the one on your profile?..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Birdman's fusebox upgrade

Birdman's fusebox upgrade is totally different from what Roger is talking about. The box in the Mondial is a large molded plastic unit with six internal printed circuit boards, all fuses and relays that push into the unit, and molded connectors for the wiring harness hookup. It is substantially more complicated; hence the lack of an aftermarket solution so far despite many people looking into the possibility.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is this the same 'group&#3

is this the same 'group' list we have going on on other site for a new/rebuilt box? we have at least 2dozen people there on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts