Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW Dude...Talk About Driving

WOW Dude...Talk About Driving 10 TENTHS, Tire Smoke, Tail Hanging Out, BALLS FREAKIN OUT DRIVING!!!!!

That's a great Video!!!!

I watched it 4 times because it takes me back to the days where pure guttsy Driving, Skill and Adrenaline was what it took to be a winner, no fancy electronics, just Balls and Peddle to the Metal made the difference!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great video. Who wa

That is a great video. Who was in the yellow Bennetant (sp?) car? The other thing that I liked, that though very aggressive on the part of both drivers, there was none of this, I'm going to put you in the grass stuff because you have the better line. Agressive yes, but a good balance between agessiveness and "racing".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gilles is racing Rene Arnoux i

Gilles is racing Rene Arnoux in a Renault at the French GP.

It looks like they might have touched a couple of times barely (if not they came very close to each other) but not in the ways you see these days trying to take the other out of the race, just pure aggresive racing ....

I wish I could see what # is on the Ferrari, because I have one of Villenueva's cars in my collection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I saw 1979 somewhere

I thought I saw 1979 somewhere on the tape.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I feel pretty stupid righ

Well I feel pretty stupid right now seeing that 1979 is right in the title.

I must have watched this thing 10 times, I love it. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell, I've watched it 50 t

Hell, I've watched it 50 times so I must be CRAZY!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!!

And I think I'll Watch It Again...

Don't know who added the Techno music to this footage but it fits!!! Love the part about Fight Here, Fight Back!!!! Magnum, are you listening???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every Time I watch this Vid I

Every Time I watch this Vid I realize even more that WE are a different Breed, and willing to fight the Battles to success! Be it oil leak or suspension problem....we are the guys that succeed and ultimately Win!!!! No one is Given the Title of Best, It Has To Be Earned...and WE have Earned It!!

Thanks for a Year of WINNERS and May We All Prosper in tn the New Year!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gilles had "the spirit&#34

Gilles had "the spirit" of Competition!! It's in us all, we all want to compete, it;s in our blood and our composition....as Sherlock Holmes said, "Watson, the Game is Afoot"!!!

This is what makes us different and the leaders of any pack....the aceptance to take risk, to think things thru, and to come out on top!! No Risk, No Reward!!!! Without Cheating!! This is Why I'm SO Proud to Call All you Members Friends!!!! Rock Solid Idivduals.....!!!!

Thank You Guys for making this Community Great!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe some of you younger guy

Maybe some of you younger guy don't know but Gilles Villeneuve lost his life fighting to be the BEST.....in a Ferrari.....and if he was willing to do that (and he was Honered & Revered by El Commandantorie), the least we can do is Honor and Preserve this Dedication to the Truth & Competion of "The Game" called FERRARI....and Honor those that have come before US!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeff, Thanks....VERY COOL LINK

Jeff, Thanks....VERY COOL LINK!!!

An Excerpt:

The battle that was waged for second place during the closing laps of the 1979 Grand Prix of France at Dijon will live on forever as one of the greatest in F1 history.

Jabouille and Arnoux amazed and delighted the French fans by putting their Renaults on the first row of the grid. Gilles Villeneuve, however, earned third on the grid. When the lights turned green, Villeneuve rocketed by both Renaults into turn one and built an early lead. Tire wear began to trouble both Ferrari drivers; Scheckter dropped back, and Jabouille closed on Villeneuve. The French crowd went wild when Jabouille finally took the lead from the struggling French-Canadian driver.

With 10 laps remaining and Jabouille well out in front, all eyes turned to Gilles Villenueve and Rene Arnoux in his Renault. Arnoux was right on Gilles' tail despite a fuel pick-up problem. The tires on Villeneuves Ferrari had already been driven well past their limits. With three laps to go, Arnoux pulled alongside the Ferrari. Villeneuve, smoke pouring off a locked front tire, tried to defend but lost the battle for second... but giving up just isn't in Gilles vocabulary!

On the next lap Gilles left his braking incredibly late at the end of the straight and the two took the next corner with their wheels interlocked. Last lap... in a repeat performance Arnoux took the inside. This time they hit! Arnoux flew off the road but recovered quickly and came back onto the track, bumping Villeneuve over the curb. At the Parabolique, a sharp right-hander, Arnoux went wide and Gilles was through! He held on by a whisker to take second place on the podium.

Those who saw this battle watched without taking a breath and witnessed a race that will never be forgotten.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.