Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A past owner of my car

Hi,

A past owner of my car replaced the Vitaloni California mirror with a square Vitaloni as seen on the early fuel-injected models. I would like to put back the original style mirror.

The current mirror was mounted using two sheet metal screws.

Can someone tell me the way these mirrors are supposed to be mounted - I thought they were originally held on with a nut on the other end - i.e. the door panel would have to be removed to take the mirror off. ?

Thanks,

Anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anthony,

The original Vital

Anthony,

The original Vitaloni Californian mirrors were mounted with two sheet metal screws. The holes should be there under your replacement mirror base.

If you want to purchase correct Vitaloni Californian mirrors contact George Evans at:

http://www.evansauto.com/

for NOS mirrors. The new Californian mirrors have a differently shaped base.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Barry. What is weird is

Thanks Barry. What is weird is that my car is extremely original and the holes under the mirror are exactly for this square mirror. There is no evidence of any other holes from a Californian mirror. The car has only been partially repainted during its life and the paint is crazed and nasty under the mirror with original looking holes for this mirror - no evidence of holes patched up either - used magnetic tool around area.

This square mirror was used during the early '70s also on 365GT4 2+2s and early 400s, so with everything else unusual with this car (rare color, no radio added) I am wondering if it was delivered to the owner with this mirror. I am going to put it back on - I do not want to drill any holes!

Thanks again,

Anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....by the way GT car parts ha

....by the way GT car parts has NOS Californian mirrors for $48.00 each - best price I have seen so far!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anthony,

Ferrari's came

Anthony,

Ferrari's came in the 70's with NO outside mirror attached and were supposed to be fitted by the delivering dealer to suit the first buyers seating preference. So it is possible your car had a mirror fitted at a much later stage in it's life if the first owner didn't want a mirror.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi JRV,

Thanks for the head

Hi JRV,

Thanks for the heads up - it looks like the orginal owner opted for the larger square Vitaloni....

Anthony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.