Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always done this the ha

I have always done this the hard way, as described in the workshop manual. It is difficult to gain access to the filler plug below the differential, and having the correct tube to create a right angle turn, etc., etc.

In addition, I have read several threads suggesting that one can fill the gear box from the transfer case, recognizing that there is communication from the transfer case to the gear box.

Is there concern about adding gear lube into the transfer case, and allowing the gear box to seek its own level as fluid finds its way around the main shaft into the transmission? And rather than measuring the correct amount, what about simply removing the filler plug under the differential, and adding fluid to the transfer case until gear lube starts to flow out of the filler plug (and hence achieved the correct level)? Will this lead to too much lube in the transfer case?

Thanks.

Jim S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jim,

I have always filled t

Jim,

I have always filled the gearbox/transfer case this way on all the mid-engine Ferrari's (246, 308, 328 and BB) I've had, without issue. There are two passage that directly connect the transfer case with the gearbox, itself. So, the fuild will naturally seek its' own level, anyhow.

Procedure:
Remove transaxle and transfer case fill plugs.
Add fluid into the transfer case until fluid exits the gearbox fill plug. Wait a few moments...put the plugs back in and you're done.

Regards,
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.