Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Best looking Kit I've Ever

Best looking Kit I've Ever Seen!! I've never used them, but that kit looks outstanding!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JRV
I'll be gettin

Thanks JRV
I'll be getting it early next month and will post the details.
What seems to be great about it is that you can plug the ECU into a laptop and alter the ignition curve and set the rev limits. It is apparently good for another 12 bhp! Mind you, anything that rids the 308 of the points and springs can't be all bad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Everyone
I have now fitted

Hi Everyone
I have now fitted the Black Stallion distributor and programmable ECU to my 78 308 GT4.
Fitting the system was easy, the hardest part being the running of a 3mm wire from the starter solenoid to the system

To fit the system you have to first rip out all the old clobber, but you must set the engine to 7 degrees advance of TDC no 1. Then just rip everything out.
Wiring up is straight forward, where the two coils went the new coil goes and a relay, the two red wires that previously powered the coils are used to provide power to the relay and the other allows you to switch between advance curves while driving the car. A switch is fitted in the cabin.

The old ignition relay in the fuse box is taken out and the wires are reconfigured to make the switch work and provide power to the relay, the old relay is then discarded.

Fitting the new distributor was challenging, as the splines are quite tight and I found I had to rub them down a bit with emery paper. Then it fitted easily. The static timing is set at 10 degrees advance.

The ECU fits in the trunk, and has a connection for fitting to a laptop to enable you to change the advance curve to suit your own requirements. There are two default curves, economy and track (that’s what I call the anyway).

On starting the first noticeable thing is the smoothness, the engine purrs, the tick over is at 800 rpm. There is no hint of any popping or missing.
On driving the car, the engine is far more responsive and screams its way round the rev counter. The system is designed to limit the revs at an amount you decide, anything from 3500 rpm to 17000. it is preconfigured for 7700. at the top end the system reduces the available power to the coil thus reducing the spark, and hence the rpm. It all seems very smooth and awesomely quick!

It also adds an extra 12 bhp and I think it is quite noticeable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks very good - two question

Looks very good - two questions:

1. Can you use an MSD with this system?

2. Where do you get replacement caps and rotors?

Many thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
It is good;
I think the a

Hi
It is good;
I think the answer to 1 in no and 2 is standard chevy parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm now discussing this wi

I'm now discussing this with Tim at Black Stallion in Aus - we may try to do a proper QV conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts