Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I bought a

About a month ago, I bought a 2004 M3, as my daily driver. Although overall, I think it's an incredible automobile, I have one hugh annoyance with the car...the sound of the exhaust. By sound, I mean a drone/buzzing in the floor sound that is present between 2500 and 3500 rpm. It almost feels as though the exhaust is rubbing firmly against the floor of the car.

My dealer, sincere but approaching clueless, told me that BMW has "created an exhaust sound just like a Ferrari...and is quite proud of it (the sound)". Hmm, I've got one of them there Ferraris, and this car sure don't sound like one!

Any other owners out there own/drive M3s who could comment on their experiences with this car?

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

My daily driver is t

David,

My daily driver is the slower cousin of your M3 - I have a 328Ci. One wonderful day while dodging potholes on I10 in Louisiana I happened to not miss the lovely remains of one rather dead semi truck tire (I am from Lousiana originally, it is my right to clearly state that their interstates stink). It tore up the under body plastic covers on my car rather nicely. I had a vibration similar to what you describe. Have BMW make sure all your underbody pins are installed and have them lock tite them all. Another possibility is something like an acorn or something may have made its way onto and/or around your front shock towers or on top of the lower pans.

While awaiting my car to be fixed a family of squirrels moved into my engine bay and stored their summer stash behind the shock towers. Talk about make some noise (the nuts...not the squirrels).

When I had the car fixed all the nuts were knocked out and fell onto the lower cover. The car sounded like a chinese checkers board in flight. It was quite comical now that I think about it...at the time it was quite frustrating.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My daily driver was a 02 M3 sm

My daily driver was a 02 M3 smg. That was intil my transmisson stopped selecting gear and I had the dealer buy it back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is an incredible car!! I

This is an incredible car!! I am so jalous
<center><table border=1><tr><td>

slots.html (9.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BMWs are made so sturdy that y

BMWs are made so sturdy that you tend to have an overabundance of noise. wether it be creaking, buzzing from the motor or the sound from the exhaust. It may be just a BMW thing for that car unless it has a different exhaust then it should

1 - 6 of 6 Posts