Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a problem that I'v

This is a problem that I've chased for a long time...and recently has gotten to the point of annoying, making the car uncomfortable driving on the highway. From a point of reference, the BB sterring rack is essentially the same as what's used in the 308s. The basic problem is that there is (or sure feels like) excessive play in the steering wheel, when the wheels are point straight.

Specifically, if I turn the steering wheel 20 degrees, CW or CCW off center, the front wheels do turn, albeit, very, very little...and this "feels" like alot of play in the steering wheel. However, if I move the steering wheel, say 40 degrees off center, to start, and repeat the same test...there is almost "zero" play in the steering and the front wheel move much more directly in response to the steering wheel input.

All the normal stuff, including steering column u-joints are tight. The tie rods and end are tight, with zero looseness or play. My gut tells me that the rack is worn in the "center" and an adjustment is needed on the pinion depth and preload. I find this a bit odd, as the rack has less than 20,000 kms on it, but then again...it's a Ferrari. LOL!

So...If my thought process is correct, has anyone done these adjustments with the rack still in the car? Does the rack need to be disassembled, completely, to do these adjustments? The WSM isn't exactly alot of help here in terms of clarity.

Thoughts from those who have been down this path...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
David have you checked the U-j

David have you checked the U-joints on the steering shaft? Is there any play there? This could be a compound problem so before I would go into the rack I would check down to the rack. If this is all tight then the only option that I see would be to pull the rack. I have not done this but I have rebuilt a few Jag and Volvo racks and have shimmed/adjusted the pinion to minimize the play. Most have a spec so you don't end up with a binding problem. You will find these racks to be very simple. So if all else fails try taking it apart yourself and finding out what the problem is. My 2C here. Enjoy the ride

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

That's a very in

Steve,

That's a very interesting question, as I have suspected looseness in the u-joints in the past. Many years ago, I did replace the lower joint, as I did detect some looseness there. Through the years, a few alignment techs have commented that they felt that there was something "odd" about the steering feel...and suspected some sort of binding in the column/steering shaft, but couldn't pinpoint the exact problem. As I've had this car for so long, it just felt "normal" to me. Anyhow...so, just now I looked again at the column shaft and u-joints. Oddly, I found a "magic marker mark" on the lower most shaft that goes from the lower u-joint directly to the steering rack. Hmmm...I guess I had suspected a problem in the past in this same area. Well, low and behold, it sure appears that there is consierable play between the splined rack shaft and the lower column u-joint. Strange, as this is male spline to female spline and the pinch bolt is quite tight.

Thanks for your insight, as now I know where I need to start....

Regards,
David

BTW..Sweet ride. I had a 308 QV GTB many years ago. Clearly the best looking 308!

(Message edited by fastradio2 on September 04, 2007)

(Message edited by fastradio2 on September 04, 2007)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts