Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a lift. I do

I don't have a lift. I do my own mill and lathe work so I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have no idea how to change the belt. Any help is appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did the engine out major on

I did the engine out major on my 348. It's not a hard job, but you do need to take your time. I don't have a lift, and I was able to get the engine out. I'm assuming you will have to remove the rear bumper, because thats what I had to do, to have enough clearance to roll my engine out. I used a 1000/lb moving dolly as a engine cradle. It only cost $20. So if you wanted you could use two. Since you can turn a wrench you'll do fine. Just post your questions in the tech section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your biggest challenge

I think your biggest challenge will be to get the car raised high enough safely to clear the motor from the bottom of the car, I think you'll need at least 3' of clearance from the rear bumper area. It's been done though many times by shade tree mechanics without lifts on TRs though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just did one. It will be tough

Just did one. It will be tough without a lift. Need the clearance mentioned by Jeff. Rear bumper, valance, exhaust, engine cover all come off. I built a cradle from 4x4" lumber and metal casters. The whole chassis cradle and powertrain drop out the bottom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done an engine-out on

I've done an engine-out on my TR several times without a lift. I keep the rear tires bolted on, and use a dolly under the front of the motor (like a tricycle) to roll the whole thing out the back. As Jeff(Atheyg) mentions you do need to get the rear of the car quite high to clear everything. I have to get my car very high so the rear tires can clear the bottoms of the rear fenders. I use two large floor jacks on each side of the chassis about where the rear jack points are and CAREFULLY raise each side a bit at a time. You should chuck the front wheels securely for safety. One time I had the car up on jackstands and used a large transmission jack to lower the cradle down out of the car but this was not stable enough....I was scared the whole time but fortunately all went well. Keeping the cradle on the ground and rolling it out is BY FAR the best way for the do-it-yourselfer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a point of reference, here&

As a point of reference, here's a photo of the powertrain out of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts