Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have just been out

Hi All,
I have just been out for a spin in the GT4 and noticed for the first time that teh clutch is slipping badly in 4th gear. it is so bad it almost feels like an automatic. in other gears it appears OK.

Is this normal? can it be adjusted... Help!!

Cheers

Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nick,

slipping is not a goo

Nick,

slipping is not a good thing, even in Automatics!!!

Definarely check your clutch adjustment!!!

The basic feel is that the clutch should begin to engage about 1/4 of the travel from the floor and be fully engaged by peddle release of about 1/2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohhh thanks JRV, do you have a

ohhh thanks JRV, do you have any idea why 1st to 3rd would be OK, whereas in 4th with the foot right off the engine seems to rev freely (I never pushed it too far)?
This has also seemed to happen over night?
last week the clutch was jumping at low speed, i.e. when I played the clutch at low speed for goimg over those dreaded speed humps we have all over the UK it would judder, and now the judder has gone and it slips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would guess that the judderi

I would guess that the juddering was the rivets starting to make contact with the flywheel and now they have '' bedded in'' they have a smooth contact surface which is causing the slipping. Sometimes the clutch friction material can still be above the rivet heads and slip. My 328 also now slips in 4th so I have the new bits ready to install, maybe this weekend. I would recommend you don't drive it much until you get it changed otherwise you risk burning the flywheel surface.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have slackened off the adjus

I have slackened off the adjuster and the clutch seems great now (for the moment). Apparently the clutch on these cars is easy to do through the wheel arch.. is this so? There seems to be 10 or so 17mm nuts holding the bell housing in place... and then?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick I presume you know of the

Nick I presume you know of the other Ferrari site ? there is a clutch changing procedure available there. Basically as you say, not a particularly difficult job, certainly not compared to other jobs on the 328/308.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul,
No I don't. I have

Paul,
No I don't. I have only had this car since November and the only two sites I have seen are this one and the UK FOC site.
Please, where is it?
TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a well written arti

That's a well written article Nick. With the description and pics you shouldn't have any trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All
I have had to adjest t

Hi All
I have had to adjest the clutch again as it started slipping in fourth and fifth gear.
is there a rule of thumb as to how many times the clutch can be adjusted? Is ther an easy way to tell how much clutch is left without stripping it all down?
Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick, I suggest you get on wit

Nick, I suggest you get on with a replacement, you are risking damage to the flywheel face if you continue running with a slipping clutch. The reason for slipping in 4th rather than lower gears is because of the torque due to gearing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Paul
Did it this weekend.

Hi Paul
Did it this weekend. The old clutch was just down to the rivets - so well past the sell by date!
I have to say, of all the jobs I have done on this car, this was by far my least favorite! by way of a complete coincidence (I hope), As I started the car up to check the new clutch, the oil pipe between cooler and block split. At least it didn't go while I was miles from home.
This is the broken pipe to the top of the picture

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good day Nick,

Just a thoug

Good day Nick,

Just a thought about your broken "pipe" you mentioned. If this is the braided oil line, then I have heard that this is quite pricey... On my old Dino (GT4), this line was worn as well and instead of purchasing a new one, I had one made for lot less $$$. I went to an Industrial Hydraulic supplier and they made me a new one for about $40. They cut off the old the compression fittings (to reuse the original oil fittings) and selected a stock braided line (higher pressure than OEM). They then applied new compression fittings over the reused oil fittings and presto the line was done... It took the fellow about 10 minutes to do.

Cheers,

Sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Sam
You are not wrong ther

Hi Sam
You are not wrong there!
From Maranello the price was 150 gbp (300 usd?) I had a new one made up for 120 usd (£60). they reused the end that connects to the cooler but fitted a new banjo. It took a few attempts to crimp up properly, and I lost a gallon of pressious 5w 40, but now its as good as new.
Regards
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good day Nick,

Obviously yo

Good day Nick,

Obviously you were way ahead of me in getting one made. In my case, the Hydraulic shop's version was perfect the first time. I know that they routinely made high pressure hoses for the oil industry and so I suspect that they were accustomed to all sorts of unique fittings and crimping collars/techniques.

Anyway, I am glad it worked for you! Have fun with your Dino!

Cheers,

Sam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.