Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE 84 MONDIAL I BELIEVE ON

I HAVE 84 MONDIAL I BELIEVE ONE OF THE COILS IS OR IS GOING BAD. I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE CHANGE THEM OUT DURING REGULAR SERVICE ARE THE COILS PRONE TO PROBLEMS? I'VE NEVER HAD A COIL GO OUT IN AN OLD MUSCLE CAR JUST CHANGED THEM FOR LOOKS
ANY OTHER THOUGHTS?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have heard of them going in

I have heard of them going in 308s. I am wondering if you couldn't put in a newer type aftermarket coil. I know on the carb cars it is ok but I am not sure how the Digiplex system would like an alternative coil. Anyone care to comment? I am not sure how you would test the coil on a 308. Most cars you can check primary and secondary resistance but I have no values in my WSM. Just thought I would mention it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Ferrari mechanic told me tha

A Ferrari mechanic told me that the later coils found in QV's are very reliable and rarely break down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE SECO

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE SECONDARY SIDE OUTPUT IS MAYBE 30,000 VOLTS ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't really seen many

I haven't really seen many coils go bad as compared to the numbers of plug wires & extenders and digiplexs go bad. Now on 3.2's it's a different story...coil pak failure is common.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Now on 3.2's it's

"Now on 3.2's it's a different story...coil pak failure is common."

Don't I know...times three! The urban legend is that there was a run of bad coils - specifically the little doofer on top of the coil that Ferrari will only sell with the coil. However, it is available as a Bosch part at NAPA stores.

Have fixed that little monopoly, however, on my own through sheer treachery ... more with pictures next week,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know if the Intern

Does anyone know if the International Auto Parts Marelli coil PN 11251 for $159.95 is the same as (or a suitable replacement) the 328? It sure looks the same in the picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts