Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post here. I'

Hi,

First post here. I've been reading voraciously here and on other forums, and talking with a local independent Ferrari mechanic (here in San Diego), to get smarter before I pull the trigger and buy my first F-car. Given my budget, it will likely be a late 308GTS or 328GTS.

Question for you: While I'm not expecting a Honda by any stretch, I definitely want a dependable weekend driver to take on extended trips. I'm conscientious about maintaining cars -just have bad memories of a Fiat X1/9, MGB and other rides that have left me stranded once or twice. Are Ferrari electrical systems, fuel pumps, etc., pretty solid?

Let me know your thoughts! I wanted something with more heart than a P-car, but don't want to be afraid every time I pull it out of the garage!

Great forum, by the way. I appreciate all the information and enthusiasm here.

Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's all about preventive

It's all about preventive maintenance, IMO.

Given the examples you've cited, you'll be fine!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried about that, abou

I was worried about that, about 6 months ago I bought a 328gts. The car has functioned flawlessly
over that time. I think a lot of that was because of where I bought it from. They're really pretty good cars from what I can tell. I've owned many different makes.

As for the Porsche, I also have an 88 Carrera.
Say what you will about Porsche, that car is bullet proof. Hate to say it, that Porsche does everything that Ferrari does with 50% less moving
parts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 308, 328 work pretty well.

The 308, 328 work pretty well. If they are properly maintained, they are very reliable. The key is the inspection on purchase, and the idnividual you select to service the car. If the car is well kept, you can rely upon it on long trips. The pre-purchase inspection is very, very important to make sure that the car has no issues.

Art

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SportAuto in NC is where I pur

SportAuto in NC is where I purchased my 328.
I looked for 7 months trying to find a decent car that I could feel right about spending cash on.
They found me a car that exceeded my expectations, in a matter of weeks for what I wanted to spend. Steve Barney is the owner, very knowledgable.
Tom Jones the senior mechanic/tech is one of the best I've run across. Email me if you need more info. I think the previous owner let the car go because he couldn't get it to run correctly. Some other mechanic evidently put incorrect injection parts on it. Tom fixed it before I took deliverly. Like I said the car has functioned flawlessly since I've purchased it last year.... Oh, and I drive it like it wants it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jon,

I have a 1985 308 G

Hi Jon,

I have a 1985 308 GTS QV and have had no major problems at all. I am in the middle of the 60 service at the moment doing a lot of "preventative maintenance" as Alan mentioned. I have been very satisfied with how "solid" this car has been. The trick, I think, is to find a car that has been well maintained. These are usually the cars that have all of the bugs sorted out, and the small problems fixed. These are also the cars that have a higher asking price too. Remember, you pay one way or the other. You buy a good car at a slightly higher price and have fewer issues, or you get a "beater" for a steal but roll with the punches. I have been fortunate and have enjoyed ownership.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font color="000000"><font fac

<font color="000000"><font face="times new roman,times,roman"></font>I owned a porsche 993 carrera 4s before I baught my first ferrari, a 355 cabrio. It isn't true what most people say about ferraris, they are really quite reliable cars when used properly. It doesn't matter if you have a ferrari or a BMW, if you drive wrecklessly and ignore maintenace then the car will fall appart on you. If your buying a used ferrari, be sure to inspect it very thuroughly, and get a mechanic you trust to give you his opinion. Be aware of cars you suspect have been raced or driven wrecklessly. If you take proper care of your ferrari, I think you will be pleasently surprised how reliable it is. </font>}

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In 1 1/2 year of ownership and

In 1 1/2 year of ownership and 6000 miles on it, I had no problems on my 328.
Ciao
Eugenio

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Euginio! Welcome to F-Talk!

Hi Euginio! Welcome to F-Talk! ;)

And you have that cool rear wing now, too!

Welcome also to Cezary, a very good perspective on these cars!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When mine's on the fritz,

When mine's on the fritz, I borrow my neighbor's "Fred Flintstone mobile"! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dear John
Ferraris are not un

Dear John
Ferraris are not unreliable. Usually the problems arise when they are driven by people that purchase them for the wrong reasons alike to look cool or prove that they can!

A Ferrari is a car that needs to be driven, that wants to be pushed, and that wants to be hard.

What I want to say is that these cars are delicate in the sense that they are fragile and not bullet proof as a Porsche would be.

You must have a sense of mechanics and understand the car, if you can smell the difference between your neighbors barbeque and a burning clutch or oil leaking on an exhaust manifold, you’ll do fine.

Go for it, buy it and drive it.

By the way don’t spend your money in a stereo system; you will get more enjoyment out of a custom exhaust.

Cheers.
Ricardo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am considering a 308 GTSi as

I am considering a 308 GTSi as my first Ferrari and I wanted to ask what to look for when shopping to make sure i don't get a money pit. Also, if you could inform me as to the best years for the 308.

Thank you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome James,

Ferrari&#3

Welcome James,

Ferrari's are money pits...
LOL!!! Get an 85QV if your budget allows for it. It is the last of the 308 series and has all of the modifications that came about over the 10 years that the 308's were produced. Expect to pay in the $35k range for a well sorted car. Pay more for the well sorted car. You can get a QV for $29k, but you may spend $5-6k making it right after the sale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh!! And have a PPI done befor

Oh!! And have a PPI done before the sale. Most of these cars look good on the outside. But, it's what on the inside that can suck your wallet dry in a hurry.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeremy

Thank you for the ad

Jeremy

Thank you for the advice and I will definitely have a PPI done. I am planning on the 85 308 GTSi then and I am looking in the $35 - 40K dollar range.

thank you for the input and all input is welcomed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeremy,

I have been looking

Jeremy,

I have been looking at 328's and 348's for my first F-car. How do I go about finding someone qualified and trustworthy to do a PPI?

I am in Michigan and would like a Southern or South Western car. How do you locate a person for the PPI out of my area? Do you use dealers?

What is a reasonable price for the PPI?

Thanks for the help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts