Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been brought to my atte

It has been brought to my attention somebody is selling one of 4 Daytona Spider prototypes. I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about these cars.

I thought there was only one Daytona prototype and it was a coupe version with the old style headlights (275 type sealed headlights). Silver color I think and I'm useless about S/Ns.

Anyone know anything about these cars?

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't know about the spide

Don't know about the spider...but the 'coupe' version you mentioned is now for display at the 'Ferrari Experience' at 'The Gallery', Brummen, The Netherlands! Ow...and it's red

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were there more than one proto

Were there more than one prototype for the coupe? I could've sworn I saw a picture in some Ferrari book showing a car that was silver in color...

Interesting. Thanks for that tidbit!

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first spyder was fly yello

The first spyder was fly yellow, on display in 1969 at the Frankfurt Auto Show on the Auto Becker display. S/N was 12851 I believe. I was imported into the US, I recall that it was painted black, then returned to the original yellow. It had a plexiglass headlamp arrangement originally, then converted to pop-ups, the converted back to plexi to my knowledge.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill were there indeed four or

Bill were there indeed four or just this one?

By your first sentence starting with "The first..." I'm going under the assumption that there was more than one?

Thanks for the input!

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i beleive the car you are refe

i beleive the car you are referring to is the forth prototype (a coupe) that was cut into a spyder. this car has appeared on ebay several times over the past year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks William,

Hmmm...

Thanks William,

Hmmm...

Why would anyone cut a prototype car of which only 4 were made?

Shame. Any ideas on the serial numbers on these things? Did the others retain coupe form? How many Daytona spider prototypes were there, if any?

Incidentally, what was it going for on eBay?

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this wasn't a daytona spid

this wasn't a daytona spider prototype. it was a daytona coupe prototype that was cut. there is a lot of speculation about the car. the seller claimed the "factory" cut the car when new, but documents exist placing the car in california in the early eighties in coupe form, if i remember correctly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To my knowledge there was only

To my knowledge there was only one spyder prototype, as described above. Production versions followed later. Gerald Roush's book lists 13377 as the first production spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I gather from that thread

What I gather from that thread is that Bill and William are correct in their posts above and that this Dr. Marvin is a crook. Don't think he is the guy currently selling the car. I was approached by somebody in Southern California. I really hope that the current seller didn't buy this Marvin's line of crap and is selling that he is now the wiser. Thanks all for your feedback.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts