Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[b]Corrosion[/b]

One thing

Corrosion

One thing a buyer should draw his attention to is corrosion. On a Dino the rear end has some surprising spots for rust. First, the panels behind the wheels and the boot floor suffer from spray water. As many panels are doubled (rear wheel arches, boot floor, wall between boot and engine department) water finds its way between the sheets and it rusts from inside out.

Another interesting spot to look at on cars from areas with regular rain is the boot lid and the inside of the wings accessible from the boot. Reason: if the boot lid seal is not tight, water comes into the boot. And when the proud Ferrari owner lets the horses run, the exhaust under the boot heats up the boot floor until the water evaporates. It then condensates on the lid and inside of the wings. Of course, no corrosion protection there, not even proper paint.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
[b]Driving[/b]

This car mak

Driving

This car makes you feel good. You get into the car. This typical smell of the resin floor. You leave the garage and you feel like you are on the pit lane. Then the warmup lap. You just keep the engine running smooth in the 2000-3000 rev range without much load. In this phase no 2nd gear, straigt from 1st to 3rd. Everything on the car is a bit stiff, it feels like it has to stretch the legs first. Then the water temp comes up, you add a little load. You knock on the oil temp gauge, and the needle moves a little. Time to rev it up to 4000, still not too much load. You listen to the engine. It sounds now as if it was waiting for a run. Windows down. How much I hate the Ferrari designers for connecting the carbs to the right air intake. This is the only reason I sometimes let someone else drive. Only to listen to the sound.
Now the oil temp needle is up to operating temperature. Rolling through the last village. Check oil pressure, all temps are up. End of the village. At 2000 the engine already feels strong, at 4000 it raises its voice and from 5000 you listen to a true racecar. First bend, just take off your right foot a little, the steering reacts precisely, slight understeer, putting the foot down, it sits well on the rear wheels through the bend. Then a corner. Break, shift down, turn the steering wheel. All at once. And you feel the difference to the modern cars. When this car was new you drove the cars. Not the other way round. In the corner you play with the throttle putting load on the rear wheels. The mid-engine gives you an incredible traction. At the end of the corner you feel the rear end coming, it just takes a slight correction on the steering wheel. Then reving up again. On the way home I take the motorway. Up to speed. The car seems to eat the road in front of you. From the rear it sounds like a fighter airplane. Roadholding is surprisingly good even at top speed. And top speed is fast, even by today's standards. Your hands get wet. You take it easy. Let the other cars go. They may be fast, but the Ferrari feels faster. You come back home. You hear the car cooling down, it smells of hot oil and this special Ferrari smell. Hard to describe. What a start for the day.

Is there anything comparable? Probably yes. For this price? I do not think so.

I have written this little true stroy to give a contrast to the typical buyers guide headlines: rust, oil leaks, service cost etc. Next issue will be about the joy of servicing and repair.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harry,

Beautiful post. Mad

Harry,

Beautiful post. Made me feel like I was right there with you. That's art right there.

Keep 'em coming.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 1975 GT4 and I love i

I have a 1975 GT4 and I love it. It's leaked a little oil from the sump threads but with some care and o rings this is soon solved. I have some rust coming over the rear arches and around the boot floor. So I agree with the posts above. Driven gently the car is not, in my opinion friendly, but when pushed it's like a meeting with the devil and temptation itself.
The feeling of your heart pumping as the engine responds with an immediate roar to your foot. Well how can I out it, it's the most fun you'll have with your clothes on!!!
Just writing about it make me want to go for a drive but as usual this summer the UK is under 3 feet of water...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts