Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a new Radiator fan sw

I put in a new Radiator fan switch. 1980 308 with newly rotted out radiator. Problem is, the fans don't come on until the temp gauge is at 230. Hash mark pass the 195f.

Do you think for some reason the coolant is gaining 30 Degrees in temp just getting to the temp sensor on top of the motor.

I think I have either a bad temp sensor and or a bad gauge.
any ideas.

I plan on puting a stick thermoter on the bottom of the radiator to see what it reads, I' guessing it will read 195 and the fans will come on.

Kelly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hard to say exacty, but you sh

Hard to say exacty, but you should have put in a low temp switch like I did for Jeremy, but after that you have to read the real temp with an Infrared Gun & compare it to the dash gauge....

Ferrari gauges are'nt used in airplanes for a reason..haha...just kidding...but truly after all these years the gauges truly need to be checked against modern tools to see if they are still accurate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After much thought I got a sti

After much thought I got a stick thermometer and check it calibration in a glass of water. I had gone for a drive and the car was warm hash mark between 195 and 250. I let it cool down and put the thermetor in the cooling tank with the cap hold the thermometer in place. Can warmed up nicely and the dash gauge matched the thermometer exactly until it got above 195. Accord to the thermetor the coolant got up to 205 and that is when the fans in front of the cat kicked in, they brought the coolant down to 200 and kicked off.

So my friends order and new sending unit and or a new gauge. Also, do I need to take in the intake plenum off to replace the sending unit, or just unscrew the oil filter and try it that way?

Let me know what yawl think.

Kelly

JRV Does these temps sound right. It looked good to me, At least I know the car is not burning up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.