Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was wondering why the Lambo

I was wondering why the Lambo only made 360rwhp, but then i noticed it was on 4 wheel dyno. Either way, the figures are all lower than ive seen for all the cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you know, different dyno ma

As you know, different dyno machine types can rate differently. The numbers are "low" due to NOT accounting for the 15-20% or so drive train loss. The numbers from the dyno are "at the wheel." If you want EXACT numbers for ENGINE, that usually requires taking the engine out of the car and hooking it to the proper rig to test it.

Sorry Allan, the 550 beat the Lambo here... but not by much. Besides, we all realize some ricers have cars with MUCH MORE HP... but how would these same cars perform on a proper track? Ahhh... we all know there is more to life than just HP/Torque numbers.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steven, you cannot compare dyn

Steven, you cannot compare dyno numbers between a rear drive only and a 4wheel drive dyno. The 4 wheel robs gobs of power on the dyno. Diablo Vts with the driveshaft disconnected consistently put down 425-450 Wheel Hp. In this compro, it shows just how down on power the 550 really is.

As for my comment on the all the numbers being low, this is in regards to the Wheel hp figures, not flyweel hp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe someone can help a new 3

Maybe someone can help a new 308 owner out.
I noticed that both 308s seemed to peak on HP at less than 7000 RPM. The Ferrari website says that this thing develops peak HP at 7700 (which is disappointing to me). What's the scoop?
I haven't been venturing up there a whole lot yet... she's going up on the jackstands tonite!
Thanks,
Don

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my '78 308 GTS the REDL

On my '78 308 GTS the REDLINE is 7700 RPM. That is the manufactures recommendation of the maximum the engine should be run at. This does NOT necessarily reflect where the engine produces maximum horse power. This holds true on nearly every engine I have run with the exception of certain motorcyle engines.

After running my car on a dyno last month I found peak horse power at about 6500 to 6800 RPM. If you read the specifications for an engine carefully you may find peak horse power figures listed at less than redline in most cases.

Here is a link to the dyno sheet for my car.

http://www.ferrariforum.net/forum/download.php?id=1371

Please note; this was done on a WinPEP inertial dyno (2 wheel drive only)

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<sigh>
Another Ferrar

<sigh>
Another Ferrari discussion forum I have to register for! So I can't get to that sheet (yet!)
So what I should take from all of this is that the data on the Ferrari website for the 308 is incorrect and it does NOT develop peak HP at 7700 RPM. I'm aware that 7700 is also the redline and that it's uncommon to make peak HP at redline.
So is there definitive data on the RPM for peak HP/torque? I notice that both cars tested in the original link have drastically different torque curves.
Thanks, just trying to figure these things out, and I'm a numbers kinda guy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry about the link. I can&#3

Sorry about the link. I can't post the graph from my own data base because I am at work. I will try sometime this weekend.

Which 'Ferrari' website are you referring to? Are they measuring the HP on an engine dyno (at the flywheel) or a chassis dyno (at the rear wheel)?

It was explained to me in a thread on the 'Forum' site that per Newton's Law the HP curve and the Torque curve cross each other at 5252 RPM's (imperial units) on ALL engines but the max of each will NOT occur at the same time.

Here is a link to that discussion;

All new stuff to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's correct-- HP=Torque

That's correct-- HP=Torque*RPM/5252, thus when RPM=5252 they're the same. I'm getting registered at ferrariforum.com, I'll be getting more soon!
The "Ferrari" site I was referring to is ferrarina.com! They, seemingly incorrectly, list peak HP @7700 RPM. But I have to say that they were VERY polite when I couldn't make the owners' site work properly! Now I see, I think somewhere there on the owners' site that they list peak HP at 6000, which makes much more sense. I need to quit worrying about all these numbers and get out there in the garage and turn wrenches! Caio!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here, I finally made it home.

Here, I finally made it home. HP graph first and A/F graph second. The A/F was 14/14.5:1 not 17.5:1 as noted at the top.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Steve, Spassmeister and everyo

Steve, Spassmeister and everyone
Hello from Geneva, Switzerland - flew in from Tunis today.
Thanks for posting the numbers and pics. While you can't compare the numbers as much from dyno to dyno, the lower hp peak around 6500+ matches what I have seen in my dynos on a 3.2. The rwhp numbers posted here are also really in line with others I have seen posted.
Again, the Kjet always impresses me with it's ability to hold constant AF for a mechanical system.
Spass - your graph suggests that there was maybe a little wheelslip, so your real numbers may be better.
best
rt

OBTW
Heard from back home the Mondial 3.2 is running well on the newly installed Mallory single distributor ignition and happy with new aggressive advance;
JRV - in anwer to your question some weeks ago, the Marelli ECU is still running the tach WITHOUT the coils - an important fact to know that I am proud I figured out (guessed at
). Bad news is that at the clutch change they found cracks that could not be machined out so have found an aftermarket for $1200. Oh well.....
Not sure if the cams will be delivered or not - some problems with the cam shop.
Pictures upon my return.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Russ!
Good to hear the Mal

Hi Russ!
Good to hear the Mallory is working out for you. It will be the mod I will use if and when required.

Enlighten me about my dyno graph oh enlightened one, wheel slip? From an old 308?

Eager to see more pictures and hear about your latest advances and modifications to the Mondial!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Look at the burp at 5600 rpm,

Look at the burp at 5600 rpm, then catching back up. Would estimate extrapolating the graph you really have 4 - 8 more rwhp than the graph shows.

Pictures in a couple of weeks when I get home.
best
rt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the observation.

Thank you for the observation. Just got the videos from my nephew. Neat to see and hear from outside of the car. Great sound at 7700 RPM on one run. I started cutting it off at 7100 after I saw where the peak was.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts