Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody give me some advic

can anybody give me some advice on hoe to keep the engine clean.
I see some dust on it and i would like to keep it looking prestine.
Thanks for any help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would use something like Sim

I would use something like Simple Green on a rag for Oil, and just detail spray for dirt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on the area that yo

It depends on the area that you are trying to clean. If the engine is just dusty then use a rag with somme simple green. Fo oil I use brake cleaner on a rag. If you need to hose it down I use a pressure washer on a cold engine. With an early carb car there are not to many electronic issues to worry about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be careful with a pres

I would be careful with a pressure washer, especially if your using a detergent, I'd be worried about corrosion and getting water were it shouldn't be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most tensioner bearing failure

Most tensioner bearing failures I have seen are on motors that are washed. While it is true they are sealed it is not an absolute seal and water or worse, water and soap destroys the grease and use of a pressure washer pretty much insures the water will get in the bearing.

The ONLY time I will wash a motor is preperatory to a major service.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A really good engine cleaner i

A really good engine cleaner is WD-40. I buy it by the gallon and it does a nice gentle job. It may take several applications but it will do a good job of removing crud without destroying any of the painted finishes. It's surprising how well it works, the blacks look blacker, etc. It takes some patience but the results are worth it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. WD40 has some solv

Good point. WD40 has some solvent properties that do clean well and it is very mild so finishes are not hurt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that's beautiful. Was

Wow that's beautiful. Was the engine removed? And then you use the WD-40 to keep it that way?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I did pull the motor a few

Yes I did pull the motor a few years ago and had to refinish everything. The previous owner washed the motor with a caustic chemical and totally destroyed everything. All plated or steel parts were chalky white with thick corrosion, and all painted surfaces were stained and streaked - it was an aweful sight! I also used stainless fasteners everywhere I could, with plated steel washers - because stainless and aluminum don't always get along too well. Since I did the motor, I only rarely used diluted simple green and then only on the lower areas of the frame members and gearbox. For everything else I use WD-40. Protect all electrical connections, soak everything down and agitate as needed, and gently spray things down with a hose...with the nozzle set on "mist". This way very little water is used but it will flush out lots of the crud and dirt. I then use an electric leaf blower to blast all the water out. Finally follow up by wiping every nook and cranny with rags and such. It's time consuming but the results speak for themslelves.

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks for such an informative post, and seems to be pretty helpful for newbies as they are a bit low and experience and knowledge and might even end up having some major troubles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts