Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a cross-re

Does anyone know of a cross-reference by brand/ number for a pressure cap for an expansion tank for an '85 QV? I'm always left with about one drop of coolant on the floor from the overflow hose after each drive and I hear a very, very slight hiss from the cap when the system is hot. This happens with the car's original cap and with a newer one I bought 2 yrs ago. Both are .9 bar rated and I'd like to try a higher rating, as has been recommended by some owners. My system seems fine, the car runs cool, the fans work perfectly, and I bleed the system regularly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bill:

I ordered a new cap s

Bill:

I ordered a new cap several months ago from Algar Ferrari to replace my original cap. They sent me an upgraded OEM cap with a 1.1 bar rating. So far no problems. It was a little pricey ($25 ish), but I do like to stick with OEM parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the risk of offending some

At the risk of offending some purists - almost any 13 - 15 pound radiator cap will work.
Mine has been on 5 years, works great and cost $5.

hth
Cheap Charlie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys: I show my car and would

Guys: I show my car and would lose points for a non-OEM part. With that said, Cheap Charlie is correct, any cap with the correct psi rating should work fine.

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Russ,

AKA "Cheap Charli

Russ,

AKA "Cheap Charlie"...You just crack me up!! Although I'm pretty fussy as to OE parts, we all know...but won't admit to others...that the factory cap is total junk out of the box. I'm lucky if I get a year out of those overpriced, under-engineered caps.

Bill...Cheap Charlie may be at a "Blue Light Special" so, in his absence...I believe a Stant brand cap for a Chevy or Ford will do the trick..

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes -
A Stant #229 13 lb. ca

Yes -
A Stant #229 13 lb. cap.
best,
C2
"Thousands for Webers and custom cams, but not $25 for a radiator cap..."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just installed the Stant cap

I just installed the Stant cap ( #11229) and it fits like a glove, without the leakage I 've gotten from 2 OEM caps. Total cost was $4.96. After one test drive so far, there is no leakage from the overflow hose either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, what is the conver

By the way, what is the conversion between the bar rating and psi?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think 1 bar is atmospheric p

I think 1 bar is atmospheric pressure at sea level, something like 15 or 16 pounds per square inch. So 2 bars would be twice that amount. I just can't remember what the exact number is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just picked up two of the St

I just picked up two of the Stant caps from Autozone today. The Alfa cap started to leak like the OEM cap did. For $3.00 it's worth the money to see if it works better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a bit of feedback o

Here's a bit of feedback on the Stant 13 lb. cap. It wound up not working well on my car--the temp ran hotter than ususal and I did eventually see coolany exiting the overflow hose again. Apparently this lb cap was not enough for my car. I'll try a 16 lb cap this week--I believe that that rating is almost identical ,albeit slightly less, than the new OEM 1.1 bar cap and I'm assuming it should be OK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bill
I may be totally wrong h

Bill
I may be totally wrong here, but you may need to burp your system. It happened to me - a bit of air gets trapped and the expansion of the air pushes fluid out a perfectly good cap.
While the engine idles, there is a little burp screw on the top of the thermostat housing at the front of the engine that can be slowly opened counter clockwise intil air (bubbly coolant) can leak out. Let it stay cracked open until just fluid runs out. Top off your expansion tank with fresh coolant.
I doubt you need another cap.
Good luck
Russ
rt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, Russ--yeah, i bleed the sy

Hi, Russ--yeah, i bleed the system regularly. I was just searching for a better cap than OEM and am experimenting with others. However, the the cooling system is functioning fine. With the 13 lb cap, the temp was relatively higher, but still w/i normal limits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts