Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I operate the swith to st

When I operate the swith to stiffen the suspension (for track days) , it does not work and the car is still ways too soft.
Two of my friends experience the same problem.
Any clue ?
Many thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello edouard, I do not think

Hello edouard, I do not think you can really feel
the "stiffened suspension" while driving on the street. I noticed the difference at the track in terms of lap times, body roll, etc...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my F355, I can feel the dif

On my F355, I can feel the difference between comfort setting and the performance setting while driving on the street. My car is distinctly sloppy in the comfort setting (underdamped) and I only use this on quite rough roads.

My car (1995 with 40K miles and 4K track miles) is just about perfectly damped on the original shocks when accelerating out of a 90 degree sweeper at full power at 90 MPH on moderately bumpy track surface (Turn 2 TWS). Any harder on the springs/shocks would hurt the grip here on street tires. With the added grip of R-compounds and/or slicks harder springs are desired and the roadworthyness of the car is diminushed.

At the track, the F355 suspension can be considered to be too soft in the back, and you have to learn to drive to the car. Ferrari did this in order to have a useful balance between road manners and track manners. (With road manners being benign handling when a corner is entered too hot and the driver is unprepaired). With the front roll center just below the surface of the road (-0.5") you can really feel the height of the rear roll center (+4.2"), and this gives the rear its slow-to-damp movements at the track when going from full latteral acceleration in one direction to full latteral acceleration the other. If you learn to slow the initial steering input (earlier and slower while always being smooth) and maintain a rate that does not overwhelm the shocks, you can learn to drive to the car and it will respond with control, grip, and smoothness. The power steering hurts here because these are the points where you actually want a heavy-er steering feel.

The original 348 was better in this regards with a lower rear roll center. However this leads to squirly handling at higher speeds. So at the Speciale model and subsequent 348s, the rear roll center was raised by lowering the upper chassis a-arm pivot points.

A speed secret used by challenge racers is to pop the suspension control motors off the shocks at the track, and set the shocks at full hard (?full counterclockwise?) and use a tiewrap to secure for the day. The suspension control computer doesn't like this and a light will be set. However, it goes out after the motors are reconnected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts